suspension brainstorm... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

suspension brainstorm...

Hi

Nothing like thinking ahead as I haven't finished my head swap yet but...

Sitting in the garage I've got a set of dana 44s from a scout as well as a th400 that will be going in the 85 cj7 hopefully next winter...

I'm trying to decide how to put the axles in...I know I'll have to outboard the springs (and deal with the caster of the front 44)...

was just going to stay SUA and use the lifted springs I have (3-4 inches of lift I think...it fits 33"s with no problem...)...

then I thought...maybe I should go SOA and find some stock wrangler springs...

but then I thought maybe I should learn about 3-link and/or 4-link set ups...don't know much about them

Can some one learn me up on the advantages of each set up? When each set up would work well...when each wouldn't work well...cost of parts that would be needed....etc...?

I'm a novice but have great friends who help me learn during the building/installation process...

Thanks!!!
Patrick

why yes, yes i am a moron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 04:52 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Well....unless those lifted springs are of good quality (National or Old Man EMU), I think you would be better off with SOA. 3-4" of lift is boder line for 33" tires. SOA will give you 5 1/2".

Additionally...while those lifted springs might get you up 3-4", they really don't have any better articulation. One of the keys to easy rock crawling is having ALL 4 tires on the ground providing traction. My experience with cheap springs is that they have poor travel. Whereas SOA has great travel. When I did my SOA, I was able to go up a range in shocks.....so instead of having the usual shock with only about 7" of travel, I now have shocks with a little over 10" of travel.

Another benifit of SOA is that when you use stock springs, your springs will be flat under normal conditions....in this mode, you basically have the same axle movement as if you had a shackle reversal....in other words...when you hit a bump, the axle will move back ever so slightly instead of forward as a lifted spring would.

The only improvement over this is to go coil over. THAT is the best potential articulation....but it's not a project for the novice. There is a good reason they charge about $5K for a coil over kit.

Personally....if you want coil suspension...buy a TJ and start from there....otherswise, do SOA.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Apprentice

I was looking at these same options, does black diamond still produce their coil conversion system? I heard it was good, good reviews from most people... plus the cool factor of having coils on a CJ. but I could not find many dealers of this and the blackdiamond site was not up or no longer available?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by level4designs View Post
I was looking at these same options, does black diamond still produce their coil conversion system? I heard it was good, good reviews from most people... plus the cool factor of having coils on a CJ. but I could not find many dealers of this and the blackdiamond site was not up or no longer available?
Warn's Black Diamond division was sold to Superlift several years ago and, yes, they're still producing the XCL for the CJ and YJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode