Im a taitor - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Im a taitor

Well Ive gone and done it now. After looking at a wagoneer and then a M37 to build next, I decided to take a different approach, I appreciate the help you guys have given me and hope we can still be friends Well this is what I picked up today for the next project.
[/IMG]
another:
[/IMG]
Last one for now!!!
[/IMG]
WILL, Thnx for the offer on the waggy tranny but I don't think I will be needing it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

is it going to be a rock buggy? or something else?

could be a sand rail or a dune buggy or something else too as far as i can tell.

either way...COOL! share your plans!

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

The reason I decided to go this route is that Im tired of building jeeps so I can just turn around and break it or just destroy them. After building the wifes Scrambler and watching her put the first dent in the fender just drove me crazy and I know that's part of jeepin but I think I'll go this route and not worry about fenders or body damage and save the jeeps for the trails.

My plans right now are to use what I have. Other than brackets I will have to make, I have just about everything I need to get a good start on it. I have a small block chevy with a SM465 and NP205 with a set of GM10 bolts and everything to run coils minus some tubing which is no biggy. My buddy has his plasma table running now so he's going to work on brackets an tabs for me and what ever else he might be able to do with it. Im not planning on running tires bigger than 37's and thats probably pushing it. I don't want something that will drive over everything. I want to know that Im still doing some of the work when wheeeling. Any thoughts or ideas will great and if you feel like ragging me, Im all ears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Duh!!! I just realized I messed up the title of this post. It is suppose to say, IM A TRAITOR not taitor...
Plans are for it to be a rock buggy but not planning on going overboard with it and trying to keep it simple. I bought it from Hogan's offroad park over at Disney OK. I geuss back in the days he actually built sand buggies and thats where the design comes from. He dove tailed the rear for rear steer that might come later on when the right axles are affordable. I think I posted something about him before on here, but he's a pretty good guy and said he would help me if I ran into any snags. Disney has a lot to offer if you're willing to take on some body damage and that allways keeps me from trying more. I know buggies can suffer damage as well but it's not going to make me like it would if it was a CJ...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Sawzall Poster Boy

Buggies are awsome some of the time. I loved mine when I had it because you didn't have to worry about body damage or roll overs. Now what I didn't like was my buggy made wheeling too easy most of the time. Most of the people I whee with have not quite as wild rigs. I live in the land of mud, snow, and cold weather so that wasn't fun either. After messing with my darn s10 straight axle project and spending 2 or 3 friggen weekends on a "simple" spring over straight axle swap and i'm still not done I'm wishing I would have just built another buggy.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

The more I think about it the more I think Im going to keep small. I'll try it with 33's that I have sitting in the shop and see if that doesn't keep the challenge for me and if it doesn't work well then I will move up. Im going to run 10 bolts so I dont' want to get carried away with the tires. I paid $500 for it which sounds like a lot when all you are looking at is a bunch of tubing. He's cheaper than other buggies because he just tack welds them and the purchaser has to finish that. I few of the main welds are complete to keep it square. I started welding on it this afternoon and after about two hours, I had enough. I should be a fun project to work on.

Im trying to find some right side drop devorced t-case options so I can run a automatic if anyone can think of one off the top of their head. Does anyone know if there is a kit for a NP205 to make it devorced. I have a 460LE or what ever that number is out of a two wheel drive. I think a B&M shifter would be easier than setting up the clutch pedal and linkages...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Isin't the ford version of the 205 divorced? Commonly seen inthe highboys?

I could be wrong, but the ones I have sold went for 100 in unknown condition. Seem to be pretty popular.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Sawzall Poster Boy

Pass drop divorced cases came in internationals, GM's, and dodges. I don't remember the model # for IH's though it's strong, GM used the rockwell case which has a lower rear output then input, and dodge used a 205. Look in laste 60's/ early 70's full sizes, most of them had divorced cases.

As far as setting up a clutch it isn't that bad. I used s10 pedals which wern't the easiest but worked, pulling them out of an s10 is a job for a monkey not a human. If I did it again I'd just use a wilwood setup that comes with the master and pedal. One nice thing about my buggie's pedal setup was it was really easy to 3 foot it the way the pedals were laid out. I had my toe on the brake pedal and I could feather the gas with the sie of my foot.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thnx Andy! I thought the 60's model dodge's had them but wasn't sure if it was pass side drop.
I was talking to a guy I work with and he just bought another dirt track car and told me he would sell me his Willwood setup out of his other car really cheap. He said he has the clutch and brake pedal with master cylenders. Im going to see if a hydrolic throwout bearing from a late model SM465 is the same inner diameter as the old 465's if not maybe the bearing retainer will swap. He said he would give me the brake adjuster with it and the pressure gauges that shows how much from front to rear. All of it for about $200, not a bad deal at all..
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Veteran

I am building a buggy very similar in size to what you are going to do. I am using a sammy divorced right hand drop x-fer case. Its gear driven, small, and has tons of gear options. I wouldn't put it behind a big power house but it weighs in at less than 50lbs with fluid!!

Brad

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode