Off Roading Forums banner

OBDII Scanner - Cheap

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  LEVE 
#1 ·
I thought some of you may be interested in this...I walked into Harbor Freight today and on Clearance for $5 I picked up:

I'll have fun with this! :D

See less See more
#6 ·
Just an update. Friday, while backing the Voyager out of the dentists office the Check Engine light came on. I simply took the code reader out and put it on the connector and read a PO455 error. When I got home, I looked up the error. It pointed to a large emissions error, the type you get when you leave your gas cap off and drive away from a gas station after fueling.

About three weeks ago I bought a used gas cap because it had a plastic cord to attach the gas flap. I guess the cap failed. Yesterday I bought a new cap at Autozone and drove home with the code reader attached. I was hoping the reader would, as advertised, turn off the CEL. It didn't. That meant I was wrong in my diagnostics or the code reader wouldn't turn the CEL off.

When I arrived hope I parked and turned off the engine. Then I turned it back on and the CEL was off. The code reader had done it's job, but the On-board computer did not turn the CEL off till the engine was restarted.

I've learned something of value.

Now it's your turn!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.