Finally broke my t-max - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Finally broke my t-max

After 3 years and HUNDREDS of pulls of my jeep, scrap vehicles in all sorts of disrepair and several combines, grain trucks One with no tires, and dozens of other things I cannot remember, while pulling and entire car sidways 15 foot to line it up where I could get it out BOOM something broke. Now you may be saying why am I happy about this,, truth is I am not, but I bought that winch with the thought if it gets me out of one bad stuck I will be happy. So lets just say I am happy..

The part that broke appears to be the clutch for the free spool. It had been sticking a little lately but gave no other indication that it was going to blow.

I have a 10,000 lb champion sitting in a box for just such an occasion. I have to say I will continue to recomend T-Max as a quality Item I may even buy one for a spare insted of the cheapos I have been getting.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Way Outta Control

And the cost was?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Veteran

I don't know about the TMAX but tear it down to see what broke. When I had my wreck I actually tore the complete planetary end off my Ramsey. It sat in my garage for 8 months because I figured it was trash. Finally pulled it apart and I think it only cost me $35 in parts to get it back in operation.

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I plan to open it up and see. I am thinking from looking at the breakdown it could be one of many things.

When I bought mine it was 450 shipped. That was before the flood of cheap winches when Tmax was a cheaper solution. I don't know what they cost now but I pulled it off 3 times and put champions on to get the tmax back on my jeep only to have to pull it and put it back on the trailer. If I fix it it will go right back on the Jeep pending the next broken on on the trailer.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode