Ot Electric Load - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Ot Electric Load

We are getting price quotes for a new shop in the back. The building and the like was easy. The Electric however is not working out so easy.

The engineer I met with from duke energy wants a list of all the equiptment I will be running and the load requirements of each. My biggst problem is alot of it s unknown. I intend to at some pint put a mill, lathe, plasma table along with the welders, hand tools, lights heat and the like that I already have. I was thinking about running double 200 Amp service just to be certian. What concerns me is I currently run on a 100 amp sub pannel. That mens I hae 100 amps availble but share it with the rest of the house. I have never blown a breaker. I think it is mostly because I don't weld and run the drill press, compressor and 5 drills at the same time. I may be welding and the compressor kick on that is the biggest surge I see hapening and even at full load that will only consume 71 amps peak. I am looking for some advice on this. Dad said he shot his high and they did the work and install for free. That would be great, but I don't want to short myself.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 04:18 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Check your PM

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 04:42 PM

I have all of that stuff running in my shop on a 200 amp service and have never had a problem. Probably the biggest load I ever had was one day I was running the lathe, a buddy was running the mill, the AC was pumping and the compressor kicked on. No problem.

It's good that they'll do the calculations for you, but watch out. If it turns into a commercial connection, you may have rates or charges based on the maximum service.

When I built the shop I put in wiring one or two sizes larger than code - 20 amp circuits on 10 gauge wire for the wall receptacles, 20 amp circuits on 12 gauge wire for the ceiling fixtures. I did that so that in the future I could run more through them if necessary, and also to avoid the voltage drop that starting loads can cause.

The electrician who helped me wanted to surface-run conduit and pull code-size wire that could be easily replaced if necessary. That probably would have been a good course of action and cheaper, but I didn't want to notch stuff around the conduits, and didn't like the appearance of the conduit.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Veteran

I am with Jim, 200 amp service should get you good to go.

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Addict

I could weight in on this but won't because even though I hold a current state certified Master Electricians License and several Degrees in Mechanical and Electricity. I have been told by others in soooo many words I didn't know what I was talking about. I will say this there are many variables to consider before making a final decision.

BOOGER

"Sometimes Insanity and Genius walk the same side of the street"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode