Got the sags... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Aprentice

Got the sags...

My 99 TJ has a case of the sags in the rear. To make matters worse I frequently tow my old military trailer loaded to the gills with camping gear. It ain't a pretty sight.
I really think that my old Skycrapper coils in the back have seen their better days and I will be replacing them. While that might get me back level when I'm not towing, I doubt that it will keep me that way once the weight of the trailer is added. I am considering two solutions:
1. Old Man Emu rear springs that are rated for a heavy load. Does anyone have any experience with these? If so, has your experience been with the ones that are rated for "constant" heavy or the progressive coil?
2. Airlift bags inside the coils. At first I thought that this seemed like an iffy solution on a TJ, but I've read a couple of articles by people that have done it with good results. Has anyone on this board tried this and if so were you happy with the results?
3. OK I lied I'm considering 3 solutions...the OME springs AND the airbags. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 05:35 AM

I like 3. Your philosophy is spot on.

But what you should do is get a heavy pickup or van and a trailer. If the load is crushing your springs, you're hauling WAY too much for a SWB Jeep.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree with Jim. Old man emu has very good springs. Maybee the best on the market from all I have read and heard, but I could never spend the moey on them. For the price I coul buy a couple sets f cheaper springs.

Tj's were not built to tow much. I have seen boats behind them that were way to big for their ability. I bought a 4x8 trailer years ago and even that full of firewood caused handeling issues with the jeep.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Aprentice

I probably should have elaborated a bit more on the trailer. We're not talking at huge trailer. It is a Willys MBT 1/4 ton military. So even with a heaping load of camping gear, water and a couple of gas cans the weight can't be all that much. I really think that the Skycrapper springs have developed some serious sagging issue and the weight of trailer obviously compounds the problem. So I've pretty much decided that they need to go... I never did like them and have just been waiting for an excuse anyhow. The OME springs really aren't that bad price wise if one is buying just a pair of coils, approximately $150. I'm just torn between the ones that are rated for a heavy load (and risk having the fillings in my teeth jarred out when empty) or the ones that are a progressively heavy (and risk having them not be enough). So I would love to hear from anyone that has used either of the OME "heavy" springs. And if not...well I guess somebody has to be the guinea pig, might as well be me.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 04:32 PM

I've been wrestling with a similar problem for about 2 years now. I tow a pop up camper (GVW 3200lbs) with my XJ. The camper storage compartment is in the front, along with the propane bottle and battery, so there is considerable tounge weight (about 225lbs.). Add to that the gear and people in the back seat. My current solution is Monroe air shocks on the rear axle (the XJ has rear leaf springs and a "natural" SOA), inflated to 100psig when towing. While it works ok, the rig doesn't sit exactly level when fully loaded and hitched up. As you probably know, the closer the rig sits to level, the more safer it is while towing.

I've been toying with the idea of installing a load equalizer hitch on the trailer but I'd have to change my current 1 1/4" receiver to 2". Also, the minimum size equalizer I can find has a rated capacity of 500lb. tounge weight so I'm worried that that might be too much capacity and the hitch won't work right. (It's supposed to shift some to the tounge weight to the front axle).
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 06:01 PM

As far as taking too much off, that's not a problem. They have chains on each side that hook into latches. Each link transfers some amount of weight. How much you transfer depends on how many links you take up.

But an equalizing hitch isn't the answer. You need a smaller trailer or a bigger tow vehicle with bigger axles, bigger brakes, bigger wheels and tires, bigger engine, bigger cooling system, bigger CGWR . . .

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Way Outta Control

Quote:
But an equalizing hitch isn't the answer. You need a smaller trailer or a bigger tow vehicle with bigger axles, bigger brakes, bigger wheels and tires, bigger engine, bigger cooling system, bigger CGWR . . .
You need a PowerWagon!

Last edited by LEVE; 03-24-2009 at 07:43 PM.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Aprentice

xjy173.... while the others are probably right and a bigger tow vehicle is probably the best answer, have you ever considered a set of Timbrens?
If you never looked in to them, they are basically a large semi-hollow,glorified bumpstop that mounts between the frame and axle housing. They are mounted so that there is an inch or 2 of clearance between them and the axle when unloaded so that in theory they do not effect ride quality. When loaded, they make contact and help support/stabilize the vehicle. A lot of people who haul large slide in campers report excellent results with them. I don't know how well they would work on an XJ but they do make them for that application. (In fact they make them for TJ's, maybe I should take my own advice and look into them) I have been strongly considering a set for my 1ton Dodge dually that I use to haul my camper.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Way Outta Control

IMHO (that and $2.50 will buy ya beer anywhere) if you're towing a load with a TJ that's so heavy that the springs are deforming, you'd best look for better insurance or lighten the load. It is a dangerous activity towing with a Jeep, but with a very heavy load, the problem intensifies.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog View Post
xjy173.... while the others are probably right and a bigger tow vehicle is probably the best answer, have you ever considered a set of Timbrens?
No, I haven't considered them but it is a good idea to. The air shocks do a decent job of leveling the XJ compared to how it sat before I installed them. I could boost the shocks up to 125psig (the manufacturer's instructions say that is the max allowable). I rather not push them too much, so these bumpstops might get the XJ perfectly level. They would save me from having to switch receivers to accept the equalizer hitch. I should also mention that I considered going to heavy duty OEM or the Old Man Emu heavy duty springs to replace the XJ's stock rear leafs but I was concerned about the unloaded ride quality. The Old Man Emus would require me to lift the XJ 2", however.

I don't think a larger tow vehicle is a necessity...the XJ tows the camper just fine; no swaying and no hairy stopping ... but it would be nice to have one. Larry says it should be a Power Wagon but I'd rather have a 1986-91 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. If anybody has one that they like to give me for my birthday, it's April 29.

Quote:
I don't know how well they would work on an XJ but they do make them for that application. (In fact they make them for TJ's, maybe I should take my own advice and look into them) I have been strongly considering a set for my 1ton Dodge dually that I use to haul my camper.
Thanks for the advice, groundhog and Good Luck!!

PS: Larry, $2.50 is very expensive root beer.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode