Semi OT, Need some ideas for "head scratchers" for class - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Sawzall Poster Boy

Semi OT, Need some ideas for "head scratchers" for class

I'm going to start out my classes with a Head Scratcher on the board. Pretty much the students come in, there's a problem with a car on a board, they have 3 minuets to come up with 3 yes or no questions to ask about the problem to come up with a diagnosis.

For example:

Customer Complaint: A customer that is a comes in with a complaint that their '97 F150 4x4 has a bad vibration when they are going down the road in 4 wheel drive. The customer only uses 4 wheel drive when the roads are snowy.

The problem: The front driveshaft was missing 2 drive shaft strap bolts.

The students would have to ask yes/ no questions till they came up with the problem.

I could use some ideas of "head scratchers" you have had. For the remainder of the year we are covering drive shafts/ front wheel drive drivelines, transaxles, 4 wheel drive systems, and steering/ suspension.

Thanks,
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Don't recall the scenario exactly but it was a bad ground issue. I'm sure someone here can clear it up. But anyway, When the clutch was disengaged (pedal down) the Jeep would stall out.... or was it the other way around? Engage the clutch the Jeep would stall? I suck at electrical.

Or, a bone head one I did.

I swapped out my Intake and carb and the Jeep wouldn't start afterward. Ended up being that I left paper towels in the head after cleaning out the valley for the new gaskets. :banghead:

The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness. - Joseph Conrad
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Addict

When I first got my jeep it had a loud screamin tire noise at highway speeds. Even for the swamper boggers it had on it, it was loud. Couldn't find anything wrong with the tires, and nothing was rubbing anywhere.....while it was setting still.
At highway speed, the size of the tire changes, and somebody in the building of this jeep got the nerf bar on the passenger side too close to the back tire Fixxed that with a cutoff tool and a welder.
JD

73 CJ5 And 2 Ranchers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 07:56 PM

Get them THIS!!!
That ought to help.

And for pete's sake.........be careful with that mop on your noggin.

BUY MY CUSTOM STICKERS!!!!!!

((good women are REALLY hard to find! She buys me Jeep parts, never complains when I buy guns, Jeep parts,
And she makes GREAT sausage gravy!)TR
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Addict

I
don't think
thats the kind of headscratcher he ment DD

73 CJ5 And 2 Ranchers.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:17 PM

Are you SURE???? I know Andy pretty well..............and heck............I never know what he's talking about. Besides, like I said. With a mop like his he can't be too careful.

BUY MY CUSTOM STICKERS!!!!!!

((good women are REALLY hard to find! She buys me Jeep parts, never complains when I buy guns, Jeep parts,
And she makes GREAT sausage gravy!)TR
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Addict

oh!
Well being folickly chalanged I wouldn't know much about those things....
JD

73 CJ5 And 2 Ranchers.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Sawzall Poster Boy

Good one Dave. The mop is gone in favor or "presentable teaching hair". You can thank a mixture of the girl friend and the school of education for my hair cut and "presentable look".

I show up to school every day in a pair of steel toes without the steel showing, a pair of pretty much not greasy hole free jeans and a non greasy polo with a colar. I think i have 2 weeks worth of polos now, i used to have 1 for the occasional court date or girl to impress.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelroll View Post
Good one Dave. The mop is gone in favor or "presentable teaching hair". You can thank a mixture of the girl friend and the school of education for my hair cut and "presentable look".

I show up to school every day in a pair of steel toes without the steel showing, a pair of pretty much not greasy hole free jeans and a non greasy polo with a colar. I think i have 2 weeks worth of polos now, i used to have 1 for the occasional court date or girl to impress.
OMFG! I was able actually read one of your posts too! Couple of misspelled words and some missing capitalization, but the grammar is pretty close!

A bad weekend of wheelin', is still a good weekend.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 11:01 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Been a service adviser/foreman far too long. Try these...embellish as needed-

1. Car gets wet carpets in the rain- only when driving. Caused by unsealed pinch weld in rear fenderwell top, driving throws water up into open seam. (Neon)

2. Car dies after driving 30 mins, cranks/no start. Will restart after sitting an hour. Caused by fuel pump overheating.

3. Dodge P/U with 5.2 looses economy- also starts losing power and pings under load. Seems to be burning oil too. Cause- seal on lower plate on intake manifold sucked in, causing a lean condition and oil burning.

I could go on for hours....

Randy S.
It's not what you buy, It's what you build
82 Scrambler 5.3/4L60E/241OR/D44&HD20 4.56/lockers
1999 XJ Cherokee
1973 VW Bus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode