O/T Waggy? Will, JIM, RRhich - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

O/T Waggy? Will, JIM, RRhich

I went and looked at the waggy I posted about the other day. It turns out to be in better shape than I thought and it does have the motor in it and it has 131k miles on the speedo and it's super clean under the hood for a 74 model. Im not sure if it's a 360 or 401 and the guy wasn't sure. Heres the problem with it. It has an auto tranny with the Quadra trac that I know nothing about.
The front CV shaft broke nocking off a chunk of tranny were the pan bolts up. I have a 727 auto from an 86 but the t-case is left hand drop so I cant use the t-case and Im not sure if the trannies will swap with the quadra trac case. Im going to look over on the FSJ board on some tranny info but new you new a bit about these. My big question is, If I was to run a set of full width truck axles under it, How much would the off set on the t-case effect the driveshaft???? Oh and Im not sure what tranny it has yet, has pan shape that I haven't seen before..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 01:31 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Both full width's and Waggy axles have the same spring perch widths. There's no additional offset for the front driveshaft. All the extra width is from the spring perches out. A Chev front SOA axle is just about a bolt-in. (Excluding the steering )

Tranny should be a TH400. Had a long output shaft to work with the QTrack. Too bad you're not closer, I have one I'm parting out.

Randy S.
It's not what you buy, It's what you build
82 Scrambler 5.3/4L60E/241OR/D44&HD20 4.56/lockers
1999 XJ Cherokee
1973 VW Bus
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 05:30 AM

U-joints are sensitive to the total angle - they don't know or care whether it's up and down or side to side. If you mix a centered differential with an offset T-case output, or vice versa, you're starting with that much angle, and the drop to the differential gets added to it. Since the Waggy has a pretty long driveshaft you might get away with it, but it also might reduce the amount of suspension travel you can allow.

I think we had this discussion a few months ago and someone said that he'd been running a mismatch for a while without problems, but I don't remember the details.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 06:47 AM
Enthusiast

I put a Dana 60 and Corp 14 bolt on my Waggy, and did a spring over. The rear drive shaft is ok but the front axle needs shimed, and I will probably drop the T-case to get an even better angle. I took out the Quadra trac and put in a Dana 300, so with the front axle a Dana 60 and the Dana 300 my front drive shaft is on the passenger side now. I am also runing the 727 Tranny.

If you look on the bottom of the engine by the engine mount, there is a weld on the block that will tell you if it is a 360 or 401.

"Pionta Guinness le do thoil. Go raibh maith agat. sláinte."

www.test-of-fire.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Way Outta Control

The transmission should swap. Swap the tail housing on the end of the transmission to interchange transfer cases. It is the tail housing that carries the transfer case bolt pattern.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Official Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVE View Post
The transmission should swap. Swap the tail housing on the end of the transmission to interchange transfer cases. It is the tail housing that carries the transfer case bolt pattern.
That won't work in this case. The transmission output shaft needs to be the correct 10 spline and stick out about 8" past the end of the transmission case.

I too have a spare TH400. The output shaft has been cut off and it has been sitting outside on a spare frame but the case is still good since it is aluminum.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Way Outta Control

Yep, you're right Will, it's a case of my not reading the post well enough... I was tinking TF727 for TF727 swap with only a differing transfer case.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 12:17 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Lou View Post
U-joints are sensitive to the total angle - they don't know or care whether it's up and down or side to side. If you mix a centered differential with an offset T-case output, or vice versa, you're starting with that much angle, and the drop to the differential gets added to it. Since the Waggy has a pretty long driveshaft you might get away with it, but it also might reduce the amount of suspension travel you can allow.

I think we had this discussion a few months ago and someone said that he'd been running a mismatch for a while without problems, but I don't remember the details.
I ran an offset rear diff with a centered T/C in a 79 Waggy for about a year. No problems, but it was mainly a tow rig, didn't do any hardcore wheeling.

Randy S.
It's not what you buy, It's what you build
82 Scrambler 5.3/4L60E/241OR/D44&HD20 4.56/lockers
1999 XJ Cherokee
1973 VW Bus
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thnx for the help! Im trying to get logged back into the FSJ and not having any luck. Ive allways liked the waggy's and Im just trying to find the easiest way to get a little lift for some 33's so I can do some mild wheeling with it for a while. I thought I would swap in the wider axles I have for the 4;11 gears in them and a few inches of width. Im just trying to figure out what I can do without having to buy expensive adapters. Im also trying to figure out if there is another t-case with a right front drop that I can bolt up to the 727 I have sitting in the shop???
WILL, if I was to get this waggy are you willing to part with that case and if so how much you take for it ??? I'll come get it of course. I would do some swapping to if I have anything you need!!!!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Official Historian

The case is yours if you want it. I have no use for it. I'll try to get a picture sometime this week of it for you.

As for the offset with a waggy, you can mix the offset axle with a centered transfer case. My brother swapped a dana 44 and 60 from a J20 quadratrac into his 70 waggoneer with a dana 20 transfer case. His is lifted enough for 33" tires too and he has no driveline problems at any speed.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode