tow dolly - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Smile tow dolly

has anybody done any towing of a jeep with the 2 wheel type tow dolly... thinking about get one... would like some feedback on pros and cons to using them...... i will be towing my cj8 a lot and for long distances behind my motor home... need to figure out the best way/ and i really dont want to take loose the rear drive shaft all the time.... been looking at making my rear axle into a full floater rear axle... i have towed the cj with just a basic a frame tow bar and have not had any problems but really have not tow for more than a couple of hours at a time ..... need to know if i will have any real problems if i were to tow it like all day long... dont want to tear anything up... dont want to pull full size double axle trl either due to the extra weight .... i have found some real nice looking single axle dolly units and just want to know if anybody has used them and did you have any problems... thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I had one for a shor time and sold it to some other sucker to deal with. With the one I used 45mph was about it. Never held the cars tight and wasn't worth the 550.00 I paid for it.

My recomendation, Go to Mossori to that town of which I cannot remember the name where ther are like 7 trailer manufactures and buy a 7000 lb deck trailer for about 1300 and never wory about it again.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Way Outta Control

The last tow dolly I used was homemade. It was wonderful, I could tow up to 60mph w/no problems. The guy I borrowed it from did the job right. The feature I liked the most... the towing deck was mounted on an old hub. It would artictulate. It made towing a heck of a lot easier. He'd also made it so that you could drop down a couple of steel pins and stop the artictulation if you wanted or needed to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio_Grande View Post
Go to Mossori to that town of which I cannot remember the name where ther are like 7 trailer manufactures
You mean Sikeston, Missouri? You still have to be careful. I've seen trailers from there where the wiring harnesses were spliced together with nothing but Skotchlocs, and I've seen channels bent without welding the legs back together. They also build good trailers, too. You just have to look them over closely.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication

Last edited by Jim_Lou; 02-29-2008 at 08:31 AM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 06:32 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Yes Jim that is the place.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode