Off Roading Forums banner

Dana 44 6 lug to 5 lug conversion part 2

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  WILL 
#1 ·
Ok, I put my small bearing spindles on the knuckles, disk brake brackets on the spindle, ford hubs and rotors on the spindle and now the problem is the calipers and pads don't fit. What am I doing wrong? Do I need the wagoneer caliper brackets? Are the chevy brackets the wrong ones?

#6 ·
Ok, I bought a pair of waggy caliper brackets and they are the same as my chevy brackets. What am I missing here? I have small bearing spindles, ford hubs and rotors and the correct calipers and brackets but there is no room for the inner brake pad.

#7 ·
Chevy and the jeep brackets are the same. Calipers are the same.

The problem is you have the wrong spindles. You have drum brake spindles.

There is a easy fix though. Cut both brackets and weld one on the outside of the other. The calipers will now fit.

How do i know this?????

I had the same thing happen to me and i didnt relize what was wrong until a few years later when i did a job on a drum brake truck.

The spindle got burned up. Put on a new spindle and the shoes were at the very edge of the drum. The shoes normally are inside the drum about a 1/4 or so.

#8 ·
Thank you so much. Now that I look at the big bearing and small bearing spindles, I can see exactly where you are talking about. I've got two big bearing spindles and a lathe so I'm going to turn them down and make it work like it is supposed to.

#10 ·
Ok, update.

I turned 2 large bearing spindles down to small bearing spindles. Hubs and rotors are on and calipers and pads fit perfectly.

Now I need banjo bolts. Where do I find those? The threads in the calipers are 10mm fine thread. I need some bolts about 1-1/4" from the bottom of the head to the end of the threads.

#11 ·
Did you end up with Waggy calipers?

I know there are at least two different size of banjo bolt on them, but I don't know the years.

Might try the "Help" section in the parts store or if there is a PEP Boys around they usually have a section with hardware bins that might have them.

BMB

#12 ·
Waggy calipers and Chevy calipers are the same part number.

I got some bolts that are long enough and will turn them into banjo bolts on the lathe.

#13 ·
Well, found out they aren't 10mm fine thread. They must be 7/16" fine thread. Grrrr. This is frustrating that 2 bolts is all that is keeping me from driving it.

#14 ·
When messing with LoMods Commando, we found 2 major sizes...

7/16"-2x and
some metric size (I've been told the rebuild shops drill/tap the OEM 7/16" to metric to get new threads/seal surfaces)

Since we were denied by his local CarQuest, I started looking locally and found several sets (std & metric)... NONE were out in the "customer area". I either asked & they pulled them from the back... OR they had no clue, pointed for me to go in the back and hunt it myself (my favorite since you get to see all the other small brake line fittings they have hidden!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.