carrier swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

carrier swap

i am a rookie when it comes to differentials. I am also bound and determined to figure this out. I guess i know there are no "rules of thumb" to take the place of understanding rears. don't take anything said or read for granted. measure...measure...and measure again. that being said, is it safe to say when replacing carrier only (retaining old gears), backlash and carrier bearing pre-load are the only measurements to be concerned with? I haven't touched the pinion and don't want to if its not needed...don't want to do more harm than good. Baby steps! thank for the help and i won't "hold you to it"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 08:13 AM
Way Outta Control

Yes, you're on the right track. The only caveat I can think of is to have the right tools for the job, You're only as good as your tools. . Get a good dial gauge and a case spreader (if needed for your axle), a set of good torque wrenches and something to take care of that crush sleeve. Remember, that sleeve is not going to be easy to start to crush while you're sitting under the Jeep. If you use the old sleeve when you start the process, fine, but it's no substitute for a new shelve properly torqued. You may want to have a machinist start the crush so you can follow it up with out having to figure out how to apply two to three hundred foot pounds of torque to start/continue the crush. That's a difficult task, lots of jumping on 6' breaker bars and pipes. It can ruin your shins for a while (don't ask me how I know).

Be careful and go slow. I usually wash out the inside of the diff with carb cleaner and follow up with diesel fuel pressurized with a garden sprayer. Then it is clean and I can be assured nothing will throw off measurements as I reassemble.

Your statement:
Quote:
measure...measure...and measure again
is the key to the job. Though not mechanically difficult, it comes with a huge pucker factor. If you don't do it right the first time, you don't have much room for error. An incorrect gear setup can be destroyed in as little as 20 miles. So do it right the first time.

I'm a firm believer in project task lists, making them and checking off the results as the project continues. Also, I like to have a complete novice around when I'm doing a project like this. Sometimes I get overconfident in my own abilities and I'll overlook something. A novice helps to keep me humble as I attempt to describe the project's steps and progress. The person(s) also usually has a different way of looking at things we're doing. They often catch me making an error. The error isn't often intentional. Usually its when I attempt to short cut a process, one of the ticks on the task list, and "save a little time." That's often when things go awry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode