winch mount location - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

winch mount location

Has anyone mounted a winch between the frame of their YJ...as opposed to on top? I was wanting to do exactly that but that tube in the front is in the way. It obviously ties the frame together so I was thinking that I would brace the frame from underneath and then cut that tube out, just not sure if it would still be as structurally sound. There's also a brace that holds the grill steady but that's no big deal and, from what I've measured, the steering box won't be in the way. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tim

'88 YJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Way Outta Control

What type winch? A sunken winch is going to face problems with frame width, and width of the winch. A Warn 8274 is about the only one that's width will permit such a plan... or am I missin' something?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

It's an older 5k Warn. It measures 27" across and the frame is 30, from what I remeber. I googled winch mount and found someone that used a kit to lower his between the frame rails. His was mounted to a plate which was attached to the bottom of the frame but it didnt look like he did too much to strengthen the frame besides that plate. I was wanting to mount my winch directly to the front bumper because of clearance issues with the steering box.

'88 YJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 11:18 AM

A brace that drops down, goes across and back up is going to need a much greater beam chord to be as strong as a tube running straight across. IIRC that cross tube is about 2 1/2" diameter. My guess would be that to do what you want might take a 5" diameter tube of similar thickness, but that's just a guess. That big a tube is apt to interfere with your approach angle and maybe ground clearance.

Putting the winch pull force between the frame rails instead of above is definitely better, but I don't think it's worth the effort and potential problems unless you have a special need you haven't mentioned.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

This is my HS9500i between my YJ frame.

What is going on in mine is that front bumper is .5" angle iron, welded every where i could get it to attach to the frame... the tube is cut out and across the bottom of the frame i have a .5" plate, that is what the winch is mounted to.... the winch is actually butted up against that front angle iron, so that also helps with the force pulling on it along with the bottom mounting..

i also have a 1.5" OD x 1" ID tube welded between the rails behind the winch, which my radiator is mounted on... and also a small piece of 1" angle iron across the top of the frame rails behind the winch.. the grille rests upon that..

but my grille is attached to the hood.. and i also have a tube that is done up in a hoop, like the ones you see on the front, which goes up and over the radiator, to protect that in roll overs... and i do not run a steering gear box either, this winch would not fit with one, unless you moved it...

Survival is instinct, Living takes guts!

Last edited by jeepgod; 02-25-2008 at 02:29 PM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 02:58 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Jeepgod you've got a PM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

talking of places to mount a winch. I have a buddy with a tubed out FJ40 (very similar to how Pat's is tubed) that mounted his behind the seats and he has a system with a rather large pulley that he can reroute his winch cable out the back when needed. Pretty slick set-up.

The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness. - Joseph Conrad
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Way Outta Control

Quote:
have a buddy with a tubed out FJ40 (very similar to how Pat's is tubed) that mounted his behind the seats and he has a system with a rather large pulley that he can reroute his winch cable out the back when needed. Pretty slick set-up.
I also love that idea, ever since I'd seen this:

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Way Outta Control

I've only been in one situation where I had to pass the winch line out the back - there was no room for me to turn around to do the pull. I passed the line under the Jeep. Even though I have lots of skid plates under it protecting everything, I was still worried that it could damage something.

So - I've been thinking about putting two hoops under mine. The purpose would be to pass the winch line under the Jeep, through the guide hoops and out the back - just in case I had to do another rear pull. One hoop near the front, the other near the back.

The problem with that is the loops should fold up out of the way so they don't catch on things.

Or maybe two places to attach D rings under it to use as the guide hoops.

So far I've just thought about how, I haven't done it yet.

Ideas?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Keyboard Implanted

From what I recall on teh Center mounted set up I spoke of, He had a loop mount on the frame that he could hook a heavy pulley to to change the direction to the rear. Seems he also had steel tube mounted on the frame in certain spots to guid the cable out the back and out the front where he wanted it.

Been a while since I've seen it, so I'm running on memroy here, which isn't all that reliable :P

The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness. - Joseph Conrad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode