What in the heck is this clutch noise? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 11:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What in the heck is this clutch noise?

I just installed a new clutch, replaced everything except the flywheel, which I resurfaced, of course.
The new setup works great, but a puzzling noise comes from the bell housing when the pedal is depressed, even slightly. It's a loud clicking, a bit like when your headers aren't sealed adequately. The frequency matches the engine rpm. This is not the first time I have done such a job, but I've never heard such a noise. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 11:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What in the heck is this clutch noise?

In my experience, where bearings are concerned a clicking usually means a bad bearing, so I would think you very possibly got
a bad throwout bearing. One of the balls wants to be square instead of round! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 11:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] It could also be that a throwout finger is out of adjustment and sticking out past the other two. If the pedal has some slight movement in time with the click, that is a good pssibility. Check also to be sure that the flywheel and cover are running true with the crank. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 02:37 PM

Similar problem happened to my buddy Crusty after a clutch job in his 7. Turned out that the bearing retainer on the tranny had broken, and the part covering the input shaft was riding on/rotating with the input shaft. Examination showed it to be previously cracked, and during the install it broke the rest of the way. It's probably a long shot, but you never know. Either way, you're looking at disassembly to find it.
HTH

Lynn
'71/'48/'97
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 07:59 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Not that long a shot. This happens when the transmission is not lined up when trying to stuff it into the
clutch. One of the springs gets dislodged from the fork and breaks, pivots on the rivet, or winds up under
the fork.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-12-1999, 03:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the conjectures. I found and fixed the problem. Here's what it turned out to be:

In order to remove the flywheel, I had to grind the heads off of the bolts. Since I had originally planned to replace the flywheel, I was not terribly careful about overshooting a bit. Unfortunately, it turned out that the guys at checker had quoted me the flywheel for an automatic and it's actually quite difficult to find one for a standard. 4wd Hardware has it, but the price is quite high, so I decided to try to use the old one. In order to compensate for the damage to the flywheel, I put washers under the bolts and used bolts which were slightly longer. I checked that there was enough clearance behind the crankshaft flange, but I didn't account for the fact that the crankshaft moves forward slighty when force is applied to the forks on the pressure plate. Thus, whenever I stepped on the clutch, the new flywheel bolts rubbed against the inspection cover. I fixed the problem by putting a washer between the inspection plate and the bell housing at each bolt. It works great now.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-13-1999, 12:39 AM
Can't Get Enough

Sounds like you also have a crankshaft thrust problem. How many miles are on your motor?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode