Front locker question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 10:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Front locker question

I was just wondering if you had a locker in the front.

Will a locker be noticed in two wheel drive on the street??
can u have a locker and lock only one hub?? to get a better turning radius (meaning you will have 3 wheel drive [ i dont know i am asking?])
if this would work is there a down fall to this set up(besides having to get out and looking/unlocking hubs???
83 cj7
84 cj7

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 11:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Front locker question

I have a recently installed LockRite. No difference in free wheel, for obvious reasons. Yes, you can unlock one hub in tight situations to help with turning, it is a very common practice, that's one advantage of an air locker, you can just go open with the flick of a switch, disadvatange is price.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 12:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only disadvantage will be if you ever had to use front wheel drive only (broken rear driveshaft) it will be extremelly squirelly on the road

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 09:48 AM

You've also just discovered one of the reasons for running a twin-stick conversion on the D300...pop your front output into neutral to make your tight turn.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 10:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've run a lockrite up front in my 86 CJ7 for over two years. I'd sure hate to be without it. There is difference in 2-wheel drive, locker or not.
I also have the MEPCO twinstick shifter on the xfercase, so I can shift into 2-wheel for tight corners. This is a great setup.

Gary
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-11-1999, 01:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

okay more questions twinstick versus single stick?? a twin stick can drive in(rear or front wheel) (one or the other or both) and have the ablity to use the transfer case in low range also??? Is there a diffrence(gearing) between 2hi and 4hi( when front hubs unlocked)????
What would be the diffrence with a single stick and putting the t case into 2hi?
A. you loose the low range 2wd?? I AM Not quite sure how this works did i answer my own question??
IF thats the case can i use a spool rather than a locker because a spool is cheaper?? What are adv/disadvantages?? Sorry this is so long Thank u for the help!!!!!!!!!

84 cj7
83 cj7

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-11-1999, 02:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, you answered your own question. The big advantage with a twin stick, IMO, is the ability to use 2wd low range. I assume you are talking about a spool in the front, most people that go that way just go the Lincoln locker route, neither of which I would recommend if you do much wheeling on high traction surfaces such as slickrock like around here in the 4 corners area. A spool in the rear would make your vehicle undriveable on the street.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode