jeep squealing, wheel bearings? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 03:23 PM
5646john

jeep squealing, wheel bearings?

Hey whats up? First time doing this thread thing ever so... Anyway, 2000tj 4.0 5-spd 30/35 3.07's 31" mts 2" bb. When its cold out my jeep squeals like crazy for about 10 minutes or until it gets good and warm. The pitch of the squeal doesnt seem to speed up as the jeep does and it will just eventually go away. However, when I first start driving it cold and I shift the jeep to 4-hi while moving the squeal goes away. Im pretty sure its the wheel bearings but dont know how to check for sure, anyone got any ideas? it would be greatly appreciated I don't want to take it to Jeep. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 03:29 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Are you sure it isn't your serpentine belt slipping? Any time I've had a squealing in any vehicle it has changed pitch with engine revs or vehicle speed. But if it goes away when it warms up, it sounds more like a worn serpentine belt. The other place I'd check would be the water pump. Does it sound like it's in the front of the Jeep? Not in the clutch or transmission?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 03:33 PM
5646john

I thought about that but what do you think about the noise going away when shifted to 4wheel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 04:16 PM

Welcome to the board!

If you stick the clutch in and rev the engine does the squeal change? Wheel bearings don't usually squeal - they rumble and grind. If they're loose they can let the hub shift a little and cause it to rub on the pads and squeal a little, and disk brakes can squeal too, just ruinning down the road, but they're not usually very loud.

Belt squeal can be a strange thing - coming and going sometimes without any apparent reason. Spray some belt dressing on it, or a little dishwashing liquid. That will often make a squeal stop, at least for a little while. Also look closely at the grooved side of the belt. If it's shiny, cracked or brown it needs to be replaced anyway.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Way Outta Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5646john View Post
I thought about that but what do you think about the noise going away when shifted to 4wheel?
The squeal, if it's made by the serpentine belt, or the idler or adjuster pulleys, then it can come and go with engine load. When the 4X4 is kicked in, the increased load on the engine can have an effect on the belt/pulleys assemblies. Also, don't discount the electrical load on the engine when it's cold. The battery is in an increased discharged state. When you start the engine the alternator has to power lights, recharge the battery, power blower fans, and maybe some other high amperage devices. That will cause the alternator to actually place a drag on the belt assembly. Once everything is warmed up, the battery is charged, the defroster may be turned off, and the blower motors lowered. The draw is less and the alternator turns more freely... hence the noise goes away.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Way Outta Control

You suspect it's the wheel bearings - so I assume you hear it coming from outside?

Have a friend stick his head out the window on the right side while you do the same on the left. Try to tell if it's from the wheels.

If it really sounds like it's from a wheel, have a look at the brake pads or linings. They have a little stamped piece of metal on them that rubs on the rotor or drum to squeal when the lining is getting low - before they are down to metal to metal.

It's an early warning indicator before it gets unsafe and expensive.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Veteran

If it's the belt...sometimes running a crayon on the belt as it's turning will take care of the squeal temporarily...

why yes, yes i am a moron
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 08:53 PM
5646john

Thanks guys I will check the belt and brakes and let ya know. I have been all over the net looking for answers, I really appreciate the help.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 08:29 PM
5646john

squeal still there

Hey guys I changed the belt today and nothing changed. I'll check the brakes next, but the seem pretty good. I'll let ya know.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Way Outta Control

If it is the squeakers, it's just a warning sound.
You have a couple hundred miles or so before it will start feeling bad. All they are doing is warning you that they are getting thin. Ignore them for long and it will get expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode