Late 70s Blazer Dana 44 in CJ7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Late 70s Blazer Dana 44 in CJ7

Hey guys,

I searched and searched and searched some more, and haven't come up with any definite answers, so I've come to for your knowledge.

I'm doing an axle swap in a buddies 1980 CJ7, I have a 1973 Scout II Dana 44 rear axle, and a late 70s blazer front Dana 44. He wants to stay sprung under for now (so no need to do a high steer setup with flatops), so I planned on just reusing his Dana 30 outers (as I've read you can do this with the Scout II front dana 44, so I assumed it could be done with the blazer dana 44 as well). I'm planning to shorten just the long side and have the inner shaft shortened to match.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 1980 CJ7 uses the smaller 260 u-joint, so I need to find different stub shafts for the outers. Is there another front Dana that has the same length stub shafts but takes the larger 297/760 ujoint. Or do I need to go aftermarket alloy or something? If so, whos the best for that? Warn, Dutchman, etc.?

Thanks as always for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast

Warn makes chromoly stub shafts for that application that will take the 297x size u-joints. If you're going to buy chromoly stub shafts, though, you should buy chromoly inners, too.

Or, why don't you just shorten the axle, put on Ford outers with 5 on 5.5 stuff, and use regular Ford stub shafts? you get better hubs that way, too.

"And then I said, 'Just like that, but with more gas!' Oops..."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 03:37 PM

What Petey said. On my website you can see how I modified some Dodge knuckles to use the stock steering linkage, although I did make larger links. The D44 knuckles are a little bigger so they effectively increase the width by a few inches, but that shouldn't hurt - probably put it real close in size the the Scout rear.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Wouldn't I need Ford knuckles? or could I just use the Chevy outers, and get ford hubs, rotor and lockout (like for a high steer setup) minus getting the spindles machined as I think it's the large bearing variety. can the chevy non flat top knuckle be machined like the dodge (as in adding a second hole to the drag link arm)?

thanks for the help
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
can the chevy non flat top knuckle be machined like the dodge (as in adding a second hole to the drag link arm)?
You'll just have to look. Here's the Dodge knuckle I modified.

dscn0261a.jpg

As for which other parts you can use, I'm not really sure. The Dodge and Jeep spindles and stub axles were interchangeable. I used the Dodge knuckles, rotors, hubs and calipers, and Jeep drive slugs and hub caps.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode