Looking for a good state to live in ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Looking for a good state to live in ?

Anyhow
I have been living in Arizona for nearly six months now, but I am not sure I want to stay here. So I am looking for greener pastures, so to speak.
My lease is up in three months so I need to get my butt in gear and get on with it. I want another house with preferably some property around it. Reasonable taxes, No tourist states, Central Florida was OK except for being Flat, and the housing Glut, Overbuilding without planning for the future impact. With the Influx of people came an increase of Violent CRIME. You get the picture.

I figured others might be able to use this information as well, and haven't seen it asked before.

So what is GOOD / BAD about where you live?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 08:31 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

"Greener pastures" made me smile.
That's what my daughter says. She lives in AZ now and longs to move back to the Florida panhandle.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Way Outta Control

Idaho... Idaho's the place to be... Clean air, low population, good wheelin', in the West, not far from civilzation... yet still far enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 11:52 PM
Enthusiast

I'm with LEVE but it is hard to make a living in North Idaho. Best to bring your own job unless you have other means of support. There is absolutely NO middle class so if you if your line of work requires it you could be in for a tough haul.

1978 CJ5, AMC 401, CJ T18, Scout D300, 2 1/2" Lift, Locked Front/Back
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Enthusiast

My vote would be for heightened awareness, although confusion seems to be pretty popular up here in my neck of the woods.

Cymru Am Byth
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Hear ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSpanky View Post
My vote would be for heightened awareness, although confusion seems to be pretty popular up here in my neck of the woods.
Right now I am in the state of denial, But I know one day I will have to go back to working for a living. I made pretty good money when I sold my house, So before I Spend it all I would like to get another house in a stable area. I hate renting! So I want to stay away from the hot spots.
So I am just looking for Ideas right now.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 01:46 AM
Old Hand

NH all the way. We dont have allot of the HC rock trail you have out west but we have some good wheeling and if you like Guns this is the state to be in!

88 YJ SOA2.5" 2"BDY Locked F/R Chevy 4.3 NVG241OR 4.56's 36x12.50
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 04:43 AM

Ever notice that the places that are nicest to live in, it's tough to make a living? The Ozarks are a beautiful place to visit, roads are good, beautiful scenery, good wheeling, decent weather and friendly natives for the most part. But the only way to make a living is off the tourist trade four months a year, or providing a service for your neighbors. Same with the Florida Keys, western Massachussetts and upstate New York, the desert southwest - just about every place I've ever been that would be a fun place to live. It's probably because most places I'd like to live are sparsley populated because there's not many ways to make a living except off of tourists. Catch 22.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Addict

West Tn is not too bad other than Memphis. Eastern KY was great too. Stay away from the big cities! learn self defense and don't be afraid to use it, and if you can't buy something you are looking for locally in a small ,rural town, order it off the internet. Most places are too crowded for my taste these days,but the wife and kids wouldn't accept moving away from electricity. So I guess I'll stay here. I travel all over the country, most places are the same nice places until you get close to the "bigger" cities. A carry permit is nice to have also.
Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho always look good to me also.
Just my .2cents worth.
JD

Last edited by newguyJD; 12-09-2007 at 10:06 AM.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 12:03 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I currently live in Central Oregon- Sisters to be exact. It's beautiful but cold alot of the time. Good hunting and fishing, and it's a "Shall Issue" state for CCW. BUT.... property values have skyrocketed in the past couple of years, driven by an influx of affluent transplants looking for their brand of paradise. Living alongside wealth isn't alot of fun, especially if they look down on your idea of recreation. Bend especially is getting too "trendy" for me, Mercedes and fur coats and accompanying attitudes I'd rather not have to be around. There's a high concentration of sandal wearin' granola eatin' tree huggers here, trying to save the world from the 4 wheeled "plague". Lots of retirees too. On the bright side, there are a couple of good 4X clubs, (But only 1 real 4X shop), a quarry turned into a rock crawl pit, and a couple of decent trails. The majority of the off-road recreation areas are in the God-forsaken barren wasteland, figure a good drive to get somewhere to go wheeling- because most of the nice, close, forest areas within a stone's throw are being closed to off-road travel.

Here's a web site for the biggest local club- Home

I'm looking to move, myself- to somewhere I can get some acreage and build a shop, and not have to be a millionaire to do it. Eastern Washington, Northern Idaho, and Bitteroot Valley Montana areas are all on my list. I lived for 6 years in Ogden, Ut- really liked it there too.

I usually look for an agreeable climate (Can't take humidity), then check for Smog laws, Lift laws, and Gun laws. If there's no emission controls, lenient lift laws, and CCW is allowed, then I look at housing affordability.

If you do a Google search for Jeep places, Colorado is first followed by Utah.

Randy S.
It's not what you buy, It's what you build
82 Scrambler 5.3/4L60E/241OR/D44&HD20 4.56/lockers
1999 XJ Cherokee
1973 VW Bus

Last edited by Randyzzz; 12-09-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode