Newbie first time post - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Smile Newbie first time post

hi im bill and i have not posted before but have gotten some great info from reading your posts and time has come to get talking to you guys. i am in the last stage of a complete rebuild of my cj8 scrambler and i just got a winch on the internet and i need some help and ideas on it.. also can someone help me with how to attach pic to my post,, the winch i just got is a sepson made in sweden it is a 24 volt winch and the info on the plate is as follows type 60.08-005 #2911 year 2000 hsvno3536928-803 wire mm#8 30 meters mil-l-46167 the guy i got it from said they put these on hummers in sweden and it is new never used.. i got it for a great price only thing is it works on 24volts i have hooked up two 12 batt to get it power and it works great ... if i can figure out how to add pic i will post them as you will see what i mean when i say i think i got a great deal , will be waiting to hear back from you thanks bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Newbie winch pic

hi i am going to try to attach the pic of the winch here goes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1842.jpg (139.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1850.jpg (134.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1827.jpg (133.6 KB, 1 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 08:52 PM

Nice Winch! What are the specs and where did you get that? I almost purchased one similar from a government auction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Smile winch specs

the info off the tag are posted in my first post newbe first time post and thats what i am trying to see if anyone has any more info on it or knows anyone with one it is a 24 volt winch and so far all i have done is hook up to two 12 volt batt to see if it works ok i am going to have to pull the bumper out a few inches to make a little more room to mount it on the cj8 and i have to figure out how i want to wire it up to a pair of batt so i am open to any ideas
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 05:13 AM

Welcome, Bill! I merged your two threads together to keep the discussion in one place.

Unfortunately there's no good way to make that winch work as is. It's possible to install dual batteries in your Scrambler. They can be kept charged by your stock alternator by connecting them in parallel + to +, - to -. Then, to run your winch you would disconnect them and reconnect them in series, as you have to test the winch. But then the batteries wouldn't get any charge while winching, so you couldn't use them very long. Or you could install another alternator just to charge the second battery. Some military vehicles are set up that way, with a 24-volt starter but everything else runs on 12 volt.

But your best bet is probably to find a 12 volt motor that will fit the winch. It looks somewhat like a Ramsey. Is there a manufacturer's name plate? Contact them and see if they make a 12-volt version.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication

Last edited by Jim_Lou; 12-06-2007 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Merged threads
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Apprentice

Instead of rebuilding the motor, does anybody sell power inverters to directly convert 12V to 24V? If not you could get a 12V DC to 110 AC and then a second in series to convert from the 110AC to 24V DC. Our 500W inverter was not enough to run the sump pump this fall but a large inverter does have some alternate advantages.

Mark2003
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 03:02 PM

Electronics with enough power to handle a winch get pretty expensive. Go here 12/24 volt DC/DC converters 700 Watts peak and you can get a 12 to 24 volt converter with 12 Amp output for $140. Hook four or five in parallel and you might have enough to power your winch.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Way Outta Control

Why not use 12volt batteries in series and then use a seprate isolator to charge each batttery?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

sepson 24 volt winch

thanks for the ideas i think the two 12 volt batt using the isolator to charge each one is the way i plan on doing it. i have one of those now and was planning on running two batt anyway .. i have been looking at several different types of batt cut off switches so when i get ready to use the winch i will just have to cut off the wiring to the jeep to keep from burning things up and more cut off switches to tie the two 12 volts together to run the winch.. only thing is like you said i wont be able to recharge batt while using winch could be a problem if i have to use it very long i am going to try to attach some more pic of the winch ... i also kind of like that idea down the road of change of the motor from 24volt to 12 volt so i will try to give you guys a good look at the motor to see if that may work....oh one more idea to kick around... my jeep has a sbc motor and i have changed over to a serptine drive system.. the area of the ac mount is just a idle pulley... think i could find a 24 volt alt unit and rig it to charge the two 12 batt when i am using the winch... just a thought....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1818.jpg (128.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1819.jpg (118.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1822.jpg (141.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1823.jpg (106.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1826.jpg (139.0 KB, 0 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Addict

If you used a 24 volt alt ernator to charge the 2 12 volt batteries, for the winch you should still use a seperate battery to run your jeep. that isolates the rest of your circuits from the 24 volts. is that what you are planning?
JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode