Thinking about a CJ, Where to buy/ how much $$, help please - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Sawzall Poster Boy

Thinking about a CJ, Where to buy/ how much $$, help please

I'm thinking about picking up a CJ7 to DD and some mild wheeling. I've done the try and make a pile of junk into a decent dd/ trail rig build up game and it's never worked out great. The biggest problem with junk around here is it's rusted to nothing. I'm thinking about finding a cj either out west or down south, flying out and taking a week to drive it home.

How much $$ should I plan on spending for a real sold/ almost rust free cj7, not looking for show worthy, just a good solid driver that isn't a complete basket case. Where is a good spot to look? Anyone know of any?

I don't really care on the drive train, i'm thinking an '86 with a 258/t-5 and the 44 rear would be an awsome find. I'm thinking i'll probably end up with an '80s cj7, i know the basics on the drivetrain. Anything major to watch out for?

I've done the buy a kinda/ not running beater and buy a "built" trail rig and know either isn't what i'm looking for. I'm hoping to have the jeep as a dd/ trail rig on 31's, i will make sure i have something running/ driving as a back up rig with my luck both will break at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Way Outta Control

.... buy Mike's CJ. You've seen it at the Bash, it's a good buy for the money and would make a great DD.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Enthusiast

Depends upon your location. In the Portland, Oregon to Seattle, Washington stretch of Interstate 5 plan on spending from $2,500 to $6,500. $4,500 seems to be about average. You have to kiss a lot of toads to find a prince.

1978 CJ5, AMC 401, CJ T18, Scout D300, 2 1/2" Lift, Locked Front/Back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 07:29 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Andy - in all honesty, don't do it. Get a newer rig, and just don't beat the crap out of it.

I just picked up my 99' TJ, and I did really well.

Around here is rust-central also, and what I'm seeing be very common (and cheap) are YJs. 91-95, 4.0, 5-speeds, and autos, in the $1500-$3000 category. Even some TJs in the 4000-range. If it's a 4-cyl., even less. Mileage doesn't matter so much on a newer vehicle, and 100,000+ is really dropping prices these days.

Some of the best have hardtops and softtops, full doors, and they have been taken care of.

Anyway, good luck. I think you'd have better luck with something as a daily driver that's injected, and more modern. Less rust, less issues, etc.

Just my $0.02.
Pete

88YJ: Old, noisy, slow, and just generally wonderful. Wheeling Jeep.
04WJ: Less old, less noisy, less slow, daily driver Jeep.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 08:15 AM
Old Hand

i was just going to suggest the same as LEVE check out Mikes auction, that is a really nice daily driver CJ

What's the last thing a Jeeper hears ? "betcha can't"
What's the last thing a Jeeper says ? " Watch this !!"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 09:01 AM

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 09:15 AM

I think you should figure out what you are willing/able to spend, and then go shopping. There are jeeps all around, and for any amount of money. People trying to make money buying and selling jeeps are on every corner. Any kind of jeep bbs is loaded with projects, and good deals. It just takes time.

If it were me, I'd push for a newer TJ. Those rock right out of the box. No question.

CJs are cool, but they are old, most are worn, parts are getting hard to come by. And most vehicles are just money pits.

Get your money together, then keep an eye out for a "real" deal.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Sawzall Poster Boy

I'm really thinking about mike's jeep...

The budget is some where between 3-5,000 cash money, the more junk I liqudate the more I have for a heep, i'd like to have a grand in the bank too for "emergency repairs" beacuse it's a heep and I know it will break

Here's one I found that's real tempting 1980 Jeep cj 7 Any of the CJ gurus care to share their thoughts? I'm guessing a non carter carbed 258 how are the factory jeep carbs, t4/sr4 or t176, short shafted D300, narrow track d30/amc20. From the pictues online it looks clean and rust free with low miles.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 09:49 AM

Andy a real good website is JeepBrokers.com. Take a look at it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Veteran

Buy this one from Collins Brothers Jeep and then go crazy with a Sawzall. It's only money!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CJBigmoney.jpg (53.8 KB, 8 views)

Scott

"The devil is red, but his money is green."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode