O/T Sold my house! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

O/T Sold my house!

Some of you know, many of you don't, and most of you will not care. This year has been eventful for me. My marriage fell apart in January, we got divorced in June, and now we close on the house on the 30th of November. We will use the proceeds from the sale of the house to pay off everything we owe and split what's left over. It won't be much. I have a little house (just big enough for my daughter and me) close to my workplace that I am going to rent until I can save up enough for a down payment on my own little place...with a BIG garage! I am 36 and out on my own for the first time in my life. I am excited and scared but I have a very good feeling about starting over and finally putting some distance between my ex and myself.

Scott

"The devil is red, but his money is green."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:43 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

It's hardly a joyous event, but congrats on selling the house. But a lot of us have "been there, done that". It's not easy. Like you said, it's scary and exciting.

At least now you can move forward, and get headed in a direction. Nothing worse than being mired in a bad situation.

Look toward tomorrow.... you'll be better off.

GOOD LUCK!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:49 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

MT....I can relate....but by all accounts, your getting off cheap...at least financially....(the mental toll can be costly)

When I got divorced 10 years ago, all I got was my jeep, tools and all the debt...we had no house to sell or any savings to split.....but my daughters ended up with me full time (by choice) and I found the women of my dreams....

I'm now remarried (7 years), we have 3 little ones between us...a house with a fixed 5.5% loan and no other debt besides her new car....life is good.

A little advice on any future long term relationships....they need to pass this 2 step test...

1. Get them drunk...if they have a bad side, you will most likely find it.
2. Road trip - Minimum of 3 days....(jeep optional) - 3 or more days stuck together in the same vehicle will give you a good idea of what it will be like to be married. I would be willing to bet that anyone out there who got divorced also had issues with road trips.

You have your daughter....right now she is your #1 concern....the rest will fall into place....just remember, you are not alone.....Be glad you are not in MarineOpLaw's shoes....

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDawg View Post
Be glad you are not in MarineOpLaw's shoes....
I hear that! I read the posts about his fight. Not pretty.

It was a fairly amicable divorce (only because I played nice for our daughter's sake). We have about $300 in the whole thing so far (just had one lawyer). I get to see my daughter whenever I want, which ends up being about half of the time. And the ex and I can still speak to each other like civil adults.

The road trip idea is great. Looking back, I took a road trip with her before we got married and it was a bit rough. I should have known better! But I am not on the prowl yet. I feel it will do me good to not be tied down and learn how to truly be on my own for a while. Down the road...who knows, but for now, it's good to be single for the first time in my adult life!

Scott

"The devil is red, but his money is green."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 08:44 PM
Way Outta Control

Sorry to hear of the problems... Marriage is the hardest work any two people can do. Best of luck to you.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Addict

Aw shucks MT don't sweat it, you'll do just fine, it sounds like you are already. I was divorced in 08-02-80 when my son was in diapers, I became a kid myself again and have had sooooo much fun since then and my son will tell you that, he's 31 now and married, I have 3 great grankids and instead of all them funny names most youngin's call their elders mine call me "Punk", easy to say and my son tells me when they are out and they here the teens call each other names and the word "Punk" comes out they start lookin for me, pretty funny. You will do just fine, being married is cool, only thing I didn't like about mine was it wasn't 50-50 or whatever, I felt like I was returning home from work to work at a second job and the wages and satisfaction was crap, now if I need a companion I have plenty waiting and most of them pick up the tab wherever we go, they don't mind, I don't mind, everyones happy, and the best thing is if I need anything all I have to do is pick up the phone and ask, no doesn't hurt me and I go on about my own business. Hang tight budd, "Good things come to those that can wait". Have a good day.

Booger

"Sometimes Insanity and Genius walk the same side of the street"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode