What's a '74 CJ5 worth? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 10:21 PM
mxpilot83

Question What's a '74 CJ5 worth?

I'm a newbie to Jeeps, and I have a lead on a '74 CJ5. Some details:

Straight six with RV cam
2bbl carb aftermarket intake (not sure of brand)
MSD ignition
Dana 44 (really? is that OEM?) with chromoly shafts - open diffs
t-14 (how many forward gears? is there a granny-low with this tranny?)
body is straight and rust-free
fiberglass tilt front end
31" tires
full cage, cooler rack

This rig was built by a father-son team and has seen light duty wheelin - nothing hard core. I have ridden in it once a couple of years ago and I remember it being fairly clean both inside and out. I will be making a trip to go see it again, but I was hoping for an honest appraisal beforehand based on the above information.

A past project was to put 1 ton drivetrain on a '90 Blazer, so I'm not totally lost, but I know I'm missing some of the nuances of a CJ. Let me know if you need additional information for a value guesstimate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 11:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

as much as they can get!!!

Really it is relative. It could have an atlass 2 in it and is only worth the value of the atlas minus the cost to take it out if the frame is broken.. All I am saying is there is no way for us to assess a value over the internet. We can however guess, spculate, and tell ya what we would pay for it...
Regardless good luck.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:34 AM

Yeah, at that age it could be worth anything from scrap metal prices to six or seven grand. It can be very difficult to tell, even after looking and driving. For example, a lot of folks will go cheap and put a new cam under old lifters. It'll run fine for a few hundred miles, or a few thousand, and then the cam will go flat and the debris will take out all the bearings.

Those old fives had a C-channel frame and a lot of stuff riveted to it. Look closely at all the rivets for fatigue cracks.

If Roseville is in the dry part of the state and the Jeep has always been there it may well be rust-free. In that case a complete body might be worth a grand, but the glass front end is a detraction.

In the end it's purely a matter of how much the buyer and seller think it's worth. Your best bet is to see of there are any other old fives for sale and find out how much they're asking.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:51 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

We also need to know what your intentions are for the new jeep.

If you are going to leave it alone then it's pretty straight forward. If you are wanting to play with it, hop it up, dress it up or anything like that, then you'll want to check into accessories and what's available for the older CJ5s.

There's always going to be surprises. But having a plan at the start, and having the right vehicle to start with, is a huge step in the right direction.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Enthusiast

I have a 74 CJ 5, I wish I would've got a newer CJ 5 ( 80"s) or one before 1972. those years are hard to find parts for. Not impossible, just hard. Also as Jim Lou stated, my frame is also shot and will need a new one. even as a daily driver that C channel is going to be stressed/cracked at the bolt and rivit holes. It all depends what you want to do with it. I've almost lost count of the money I've dumped into mine, but then again its not close to stock anymore. If you can get it for cheap and run it for a few years it may be worth getting. I paid $1000 for mine, and now feel I should've been paid to take it.

74 CJ-5 401tbi, T176,dana 300, 35 pitbull rockers,8274 warn winch, Trailer Queen.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Addict

It depends on what you want it for. When I received my 73 cj5 as an anniversary gift, I had wanted one since I was a kid. Now I wanted something to tinker on with my son, now I have both. I'm not too familiar with terminology but I'll try to describe it and what was paid for it. 73 cj5 Dana 44 rear and 35 front. About a 3 inch lift, no horn, no parking break, no spare (Yet) picked it up in Atlanta, drove to Savannah for supper with my wife for buying it(at Paula Deans) then drove it back to Martin TN. That evening after I got home I drove to Memphis to drop my son off at his moms, and on the way back home found out I had a bad alternator. Since then I have replaced that, one front wheel bearing, and was replacing the pinion bearing when I found a bad rear axle seal. Replacing that and the bearing on the same side. I will be replacing the old "cutlass" lockout hubs with new warn premium hubs after Christmas(gift from the wife again) and replacing the other front wheel bearing at the same time. it has an AMC 304 that is in superb condition burns no oil but has a leak at the intake manifold, bought a new $24.00 gasket for that this morning. And when I replace that I'll replace the oil pan and valve cover gaskets as well. It has a good 10,000 pound Chicago winch on the front. Super Swamper TSL Boggers, 35X15 I think(35 something any way)that had about 100 miles on them when I got it. frame looks good to me but I'm not an expert. NO rust on the body(yes Mr. lou it is a fiberglass body!)
Now My wife paid $4000.00 for this jeep and I don't think that was too much. However someone else might. OH and I added a couple of cup holders!
Jd

Last edited by newguyJD; 11-27-2007 at 07:32 PM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Enthusiast

Sounds to me like you like what you have, and that is what maters. There's nothing like having something you hate. Yours sounds like it is in much better condition than mine at purchase.

74 CJ-5 401tbi, T176,dana 300, 35 pitbull rockers,8274 warn winch, Trailer Queen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode