tired 258 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 03:41 PM
89yj usmc

tired 258

hey, iv got an 89yj with 258 and ax15, both tired worn out and about to go. ive been out of the jeep scene for 3 or 4 yrs and i cant seem to find some info with my poor searching skills. i want to replace it with a 4.0 correct me if im wrong but isnt it a pretty straight forward swap? would it be the same amnt of work to swap in a tj engine/tranny as it would be to do a yj setup? any trans case or driveshaft issues? how about getting all my electronics to work? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Old Hand

Others will need to tell ya if the trans will bolt up but i can tell you that there is going to be alot more wiring with a 4.0. Or any EFI swap. The 4.0 has some nice power. But dont sell the 258 short. That motor is a tank! Just junk that CARB that it comes with.

88 YJ SOA2.5" 2"BDY Locked F/R Chevy 4.3 NVG241OR 4.56's 36x12.50
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Journeyman

the tranny will bolt assuming there both six cyl.....

you can put a newer 4.0 in just make you get all the wireing and computers off the donor!!!!!

The wiring into your gages is possible with alot of time and some good manuals!!!!!!!

Tim

Why is it that after you get stuck everyone helps you out then tries to make it though the same spot???

85 CJ-7 /258/Hei/4" lift/33"x12.50 Baja claws/4.10 gears/tera-low/ F-Det, R-Spool / Lots O Goodies

03 TJ 4" lift 33" tires more mods to go !!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by towman_tim View Post
the tranny will bolt assuming there both six cyl.....

you can put a newer 4.0 in just make you get all the wireing and computers off the donor!!!!!

The wiring into your gages is possible with alot of time and some good manuals!!!!!!!

Tim
dont forget about the crank pos. sensor if you use a non-4.0L-transmission.......on the 4.0L, the sensor is on the bell housing, if you use a CJ trans or otherwise, you'll need to relocate the sensor to the front end on the crank pulley.

If you're going to swap engines, any 4.0L should fit fine....just make sure you get the wiring and stuff as mentioned.

lots of good trans options out there.....i like the NV3550 out of later TJs.

should work with your t-case......or you could get a flipped D300....but it depends on what you want to do

good luck!

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 10:48 PM
89yj usmc

i have got a dana 300 sitting in the garage back home, was thinking about using it. so since i get paid $1.50 an hour what do you think would be the most cost effective thing to do? i dont have the equipment to rebuild the engine or tranny, so id be paying for parts and labor to get that done, and then buy a decent carb. or get a 4.0 from a tj or cherokee. if i was to do the tj 4.0 and tranny with a flipped d300, would i need a custom driveshaft, or would i be good?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

if you get a similar drive train you can reuse the driveshafts....the flipped 300 might change them though....so you might just want to grab the whole drive train from your donor....t-case and all....you t-case it prolly tired too.

i recommend finding the engine on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market.....call a place and see if they have the rest of the stuff you need.....get it all in one unit

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 09:24 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Going FI with a 4.0 fr out weights the problems of swapping out the engine.....

Don't let the wiring worry you....who ever pulls the engine, if they do it right, they will pull the harness without chopping it. The engine bay basically has two harnesses, chassis which comes out at the fuse block and the computer which comes out the other side. There are maybe a hand full of wires that are shared between the two....mostly power related. There is a good chance you will end up putting the new computer where the old one was.

Follow the above advice on the tranny....grab the one that came with the donor engine....it will have the right bellhousing to hold the CPS.

As for transfer cases...I don't have any experience with flipping a D300....and as good as the 300 is, you might come out ahead by selling the d300 and applying it to the funds for the YJ or TJ donor engein/tranny/xfercase.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 11:48 AM

Or you might cruise the other jeep boards (yes there are others!) and see what they have to sell.....

Jeep 258 I-6 and T-176 4-Speed - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 06:57 PM
89yj usmc

assuming i get a decent lower mileage (40-70k) engine, tranny, t case and they have been sitting out in the elements for a few months, should i really expect them to function perfectly after installing them ? any potential problems i might expect to run into? thanks.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 12:13 AM

There's always the potential for problems.

Most won't show up until you have the engine fired and running. Do what you can to avoid the obvious issues.

Look at the motor before buying. Look for leaks, poor repairs of any kind, check the oil for signs of water, and check the water for signs of oil (if possible). Take a look at the hoses, and see if there are signs of dry rot.

These should be tell tell signs of how the parts were maintained. But there are no guarantees in life. I've seen junk yard motors last forever, and new ones break. Do your best to put the odds in your favor, and hope for the best.

Make sure the owner's "story" is consistent. Ask questions, and get a feel for them. Most are straight shooters, but the shady ones can usually be found out. Especially if you ask a question on the phone, and again in person, you could get two different answers. That should alert you. But if they remain true to their story, it's probably a true story.

It doesn't sound like it's possible in your story, but a lot of times you can inspect the vehicle. Even if the engine has been pulled, the vehicle can give you an indication of how well things were maintained. It would have oil trails, if it leaked, or body damage if it was in a demo derby.

wow... that was a lot more rambling than I intended.....

GOOD LUCK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode