hubs? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

hubs?

Hi

Will the Warn hubs I have in my Dana 30 from an 82 CJ7 work with a Dana 44 front out of a Scout?

Thanks!
Patrick

why yes, yes i am a moron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 11:01 AM

I'm pretty sure that you can't.. I believe you have to change a few things to get everything to work...
I'm sure the guru's will chime in.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 11:37 AM

At least some Scout D44 fronts used D30 joints, stub axels, knuckles and hubs but I don't know if all did. If your Scout has those parts, the Warns may work. I think there are different versions of D30 hubs used on Jeeps depending on vintage, so there's more to the problem than just fitting a D30 hub. Only way to be sure is set the parts side by side and check. But it's also very likely that the entire D30 outers will fit the Scout D44 - the eye dimensions should be the same.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Oh yeah, that's right...some people when they do that axle swap swap the 44 outers for the 30 outers for a variety of reasons...

If I did that also...I shouldn't have to worry about the 44 not having the hubs right?

Thanks!
Patrick

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 12:46 PM

The Scout outers are not significantly stronger than CJ outers, so you may as well do whatever is easy, which is use the CJ outers. Then the brakes and steering connect right up, although you'll need longer links and hoses. You are aware that the Scout axle is built with zero caster, which will likely cause death wobble if you don't correct it, right?

If you want stronger outers to go with the Scout 44, use Chevy, Dodge, Ford or full-size Jeep parts. The Jeep parts, from the late 70's on, have brakes I don't particularly like, but the rest are OK.

Anything you do other than keep the CJ parts will require some modifications to connect the steering and brakes - there is no bolt-on big-hub swap. At the same time, I wouldn't bother with the 44 swap at all if I couldn't take advantage of the big hubs that go with the full-size axles.

I narrowed an axle from a full-size Cherokee and used outers from a Dodge Ram Charger, because they're flat-top and have good brakes. I modified the knuckles to accept the stock CJ steering arrangement, although I made stronger links. It only took a little work with a die grinder to make the CJ brake hoses connect. It was all pretty straight forward. There are some pictures of the knuckle modification on my website.

Actually, I wouldn't even bother with the Scout axle. All you're getting is a wider assembly and stronger differential. I think the tubes are the same size as the CJ tubes, the hubs, shafts and joints are no stronger, and you have the caster problem to deal with. It's very little more work to use the axle from a 1/2-ton truck and get stronger everything.

I guess the real question is, why are you contemplating this in the first place?

B. Dash Fabrication

Last edited by Jim_Lou; 11-22-2007 at 12:57 PM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I'm ditching the carb and putting in a fuel injected 4.6 stroker this winter. At the same time I'll be putting in an "autobox"

I've got the stock axles...would like to get a bit stronger. I don't want to buy driveshafts twice so I thought putting the axles in this winter would be a good idea.

I don't really want to go full, full-size as far as width is concerned. The Scout is kinda inbetween as far as width is concerned...

I'm sure you've guessed by the questions I typically ask that I really don't know much, so I appreciate all feedback I get...

I've got friends that help a ton...They're not "Jeep" people, but off-roaders...they've looked at write ups of Scout axle swap and say it's pretty easy as far as axle swaps go...even with the caster issue and outboarding the springs. I'll be helping of course, which learns me up good...

I've got a hp dana 44 out of a 79 bronco laying in the garage...would the outers from that swap over to the scout 44 fairly easily? They'd be night and day stronger than the scout or cj outers right? And they'd retain the same bolt pattern for wheels...right? Would have to deal with steering linkage issues...but would have to do that anyway (to a lesser degree though probably) due to the wider 44 being put in there anyway right?

Thanks for spending thanksgiving reading, ansd answering, my posts!!!

Last edited by OIIIIIIIO; 11-22-2007 at 01:32 PM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 09:31 PM

I believe that the Bronco outers will fit, and they probably have the right bolt pattern, but you should always check those things. You want what are called internal-spline hubs. They're recognized by the large-diameter cylindrical tubes that stick about 5" out from the wheel mount surface.

I'd seriously consider using the Bronco axle if it's passenger-side drop. I'm sure you'll find that it has bigger tubes. Narrowing a front axle isn't a very big deal. All you need is an angle grinder, hacksaw and a welder. To fix the caster properly you must grind the Cs off, rotate them appropriately, beat them back on and weld them. To narrow the Bronco axle you have to do the same thing, plus cut some off the tubes before you put the Cs back on.

The easy fix for the Scout caster problem is to put angled shims between the spring pad and the spring, rotating the whole assembly down in back a few degrees. The problem with that is that it puts the drive shaft U-joints at bad angles which causes vibration, and it drops the pinion shaft lower where the U-joint is more exposed to damage. But if you go that route, use steel shims and weld them into place. Even with the axle U-bolts clamped down tight, the shims like to work out, which leaves the axle flopping.

As for the steering, I don't know what Bronco knuckles look like, but if you post some pictures we can help you figure it how to make them work.

B. Dash Fabrication
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

bronco axle is wrong side...er mean...left side drop...

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 06:11 AM

Yeah, I kind of thought so. But don't laugh - you'll be old and feeble-minded too some day.

B. Dash Fabrication
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 10:44 PM

because your going with a whole swap of every thing i would personally try to find a matching 9 inch to go with the bronco D44 and use that set. the high pinnion is nice and now you have an excuse to upgrade the T-case as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode