I'm back.. Swamped motor question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I'm back.. Swamped motor question

Well I couldn't stay away too long. My new vehicle is a 95 Jeep Cherokee. Well I went on its maiden voyage this weekend and swamped the motor out. I got stuck pretty bad and was just waiting to be pulled out. The engine never died so I guess it was deep enough for the fan to keep splashing the intake. Well when I got out, I proceeded to shovel out all the water from the cab never turning the jeep off. On the way home, I noticed that I didn't have good oil pressure (normal was around 40 and now it was like 5). So I pulled into a convenience store and proceeded to change the oil. Well there was a ton of water in there, but changing the oil didn't help the pressure.

Fast forward 2 days:

I changed the oil again with new filter and still have the same oil pressure. It was about 30 when completely cold, but as soon as it warmed up it dropped to nothing. Now when I went for a test drive, I noticed a lower end knock when I get on it. Enough for me to turn around and park it. So how bad do you guys think this motor is? The motor has 143k miles on it. Do you guys think its a lost cause and I should just find another motor, or should I replace say the main bearings or whatever is down there. . Any advice is more then welcome. I do not however want to rip the entire motor apart. I don't have the time, space or experience to rebuild a motor in my driveway.

Thanks guys.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH
Iron In The Pines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 06:37 AM

Good to see you back, Keith, even with a permanent-top Jeep.

I would guess the thing is toasted. The water and grit have probably ruined every moving part. You'll be time and money ahead putting in a junkyard motor. Bad way to start out with a new ride. Bummer.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 06:48 AM
Way Outta Control

Isolate the knock to one cylinder by removing spark to the plug. Then drop the pan and remove the main bearing cap near that rod, and the rod bearing. Look at the bearing surfaces. IF the bearings have been scored... you may be able to get away with new bearings. You'll never know till you've looked. It will let you also look at the oil sump and clean the sand out of the pan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 07:11 AM

I sent you a PM about my experience, which had a good ending.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll just start the hunt for another motor. God knows what other damage could be have been done to this motor. I'd hate to put all the time and effort into it only to have it fail down the road in a few thousand miles. And Up, the answer to your question would be no unfortunately lol.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH
Iron In The Pines
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 07:39 PM

Sorry to hear about your engine troubles; it is probably best that you look into a new engine.

Take a look at your rear differential; if your XJ has the Dana 35c with the rubber plug on the cover, it has a tendency to let water into the pumkin if it has been dunked. Take Care!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 09:41 PM

If you consider the current engine a lost cause, then why not investigate the bearing knock. If you fix it, you are ahead of the game. If not, you are hardly any worse off.......

I'm not sure if it's possible to do all the repair with the motor in the Jeep or not......

I can understand your point if you have to pull the motor. But I think the bottom end can be fixed while the motor is still in the vehicle......

..... just my two cents.....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Well I took your advice. Both my motor prospects fell through so I decided to open her up. I replaced the Rod Bearings and Oil pump and screen. Well the knock is gone for sure, and the oil pressure isn't the best, but it will do. I'll drive it till it dies. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH
Iron In The Pines
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 12:17 AM

What did you find when you dropped the pan? What did the replaced bearing look like?

Just curious....
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Motor was real clean. As expected from being washed with water lol. The connecting rod bearing were pretty scored up and there was way too much play in the bearing caps. Replaced the bearings and it seamed to have tightened things up nice. I didn't look at the main bearings. I'll run it like this till it leaves me stranded

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH
Iron In The Pines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode