Old Jeep, new housing development; any creative driveway / street protection ideas? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Lightbulb Old Jeep, new housing development; any creative driveway / street protection ideas?

I moved into my nice new house in August, and luckily nobody from the development has approached me, yet, about the accumulating oil slick in the street. Yes, I need to fix several small (and some not so small) leaks, as I really do care about the environment, and the Jeep. I've tried putting some sand down to tide me over till spring when I can get busy on the repairs, but it washes away pretty easily, and only covers the spots. They're still accumulating quite well on the asphalt. Unfortunately, parking on the grass is not an option here, and for the first time in 19 years of marriage, my wife will soon be parking her minivan in the garage. The leaks are too wide spread to simply park over an oil pan, and I wouldn't want to leave something like that in the street while I'm at work.

I'm considering some sort of disposable chemical absorbent mat, but I figured someone out here in the SWB forum might have a more creative solution.

Any ideas?

V/R, Mark

FT-847 with ATAS-100 & 77 CJ-7 ground plane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 06:48 AM

At NASCAR events the wreckers all carry diapers that are slung under crashed cars so they don't dribble fluids while being towed off the track. Maybe you could do something similar with a lightweight tarp, bungee cords and absorbent pads. Those pads come in some pretty big sizes and hold a lot of liquid. Tyvek would make a good, tough tarp and not cost much. You could hold the pads in place with little dabs of hot glue. Get it all set up right and it could be installed or removed in a minute or two.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 07:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

what i do in my garage to avoid dripping on the floor is place sheets of junk plywood or particle board underneath.

the wood is more-or-less absorbant, so it doesnt run over the edges.....rotate to get more use out of one sheet.....replace as needed.

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 10:20 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Prior to fixing my leaks, I had tossed around the idea of putting down a clothes washing machine catch pan. You can get them at the home improvement box stores, about 36x36x1 inch deep. Only problem is they are thin plastic and may blow away. If you filled it with kitty litter it may stay put and be easier to maintain.

Is this the only hammer you've got?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 11:49 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Get a tarp or plastic sheet that's big enough to park the Jeep on top of. Staple the tarp to a full length 2x4 (or thinner 1x2 or whatever) length-wise, and roll the tarp up onto the curb or lawn when not in use. The length of wood will help roll the tarp quickly and neatly. When you get home, quickly unroll the tarp and park on it. When you leave, drive off the tarp, and jump out and quickly roll the tarp up. Should take all of 10 seconds, and when rolled up won't look bad sitting next to the curb. You could also use a round fence post, and the rolling up would be even simpler.

I fixed all my leaks a few years back, with a new rear main seal, valve cover gasket, and new front axle seals. A jeep that doesn't leak is very cool.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ: Old, noisy, slow, and just generally wonderful. Wheeling Jeep.
04WJ: Less old, less noisy, less slow, daily driver Jeep.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 08:19 PM
Enthusiast

What about using a spill containment berm? They use them in the oil patch up here for spill containment. They come in different sizes.
Here's a link to one place that handles them: Strebor Index Page
If you are googling try words like berm, spill containment, oil spill containment, oil spill containers, etc.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Cool ideas guys.

Thanks, Mark.

FT-847 with ATAS-100 & 77 CJ-7 ground plane.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 09:22 PM

Find the leaks clean with degreaser and use creative thinking... Worst case, you could always park infront of the neighbors house!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode