YJ Frame vs CJ frame motor placement - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 11:35 AM
JerseyWheeler

YJ Frame vs CJ frame motor placement

Hello All,

Been a few years since I have been here. Looking to get back into the swing of things.

Just picked up a YJ frame and want to know where the motor mounts are in comparison to a cj frame. I assume the YJ had a 6cyl and there are mounted welded to the frame. Are those mounts in the same position as a cj frame or moved forward or Back?

Also, how much wider is the yj frame according to the cj frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Way Outta Control

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 09:38 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Try and figure out for sure if your donor vehicle had the six. Maybe with the VIN number. If so, don't worry about it, unless you are planning on using the CJ mounts on the YJ frame. The engine appears to sit in the same place in relation to the tub. Also, for what it's worth. I think the YJ motor mount design is better and easier to get at for sure. The catch is finding the cast mounts for the block.

I used the pas side YJ (6 cyl) mount but had to fab a driver's side to work with the header. I could get a quick measure ment for the pas side tomorrow if you need it.

Is this the only hammer you've got?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 06:53 AM
JerseyWheeler

YJ Frame vs CJ frame motor placement

Thanks for the info. I'll give you a little info as to what I am planning. I currently have a cj7 frame with a chevy 305/th400/d20 twin stick. I have the 4wd hardware motor mounts and headers.

I picked up a YJ frame only. I plan on putting all of my drivetrain in the frame and creating a single seat buggy. I am going to build the cage directly to the frame with one seat behind the tranny. Will be running full hydraulic steering obviously.

Going by what you are saying that the motor placement is in the same place with a straight six/yj compared to my cj mounts I should be able to use the stock welded in mounts and my mounts on my v8 should sit on top. I took a quick and I mean quick measurement this morning in the dark and I seem to think it will sit 2" further back in the frame.

I don't have an issue with this other than my rear shaft is already short with wagoneer front springs, which move the axle back 2".

I am told that cherokee springs are offset by 4"... If I can varify this than it will only help my driveshaft issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode