Wiring New Ignition - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Wiring New Ignition

I have a High Energy ProComp Pro Series Ignition, The distributor is a ProComp 8000, The Ignition Box is a 6al and the Coil is a ProComp 50,000 volt coil. The wiring is simple for these, the only question I have is with my original wiring and tying the two together. I removed everything, (Stock Ignition module, coil, old distributor and wires). I know that I need a switched power source... I still have two wires coming from the fuse panel, inside the Engine compartment one being the large red with white trim and the other being the Blue wire. (These plugged into the ignition module). I'm pretty sure that the red w/trim is a switched power source... Which I'll be able to use for my 12v power source. But, what do I do with the blue wire if anything at all?
Also, on the Solenoid (ignition side) I should be able to disconnect that seeing that the 6al will control everything right?
Any help, info or pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by [email protected]; 11-17-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm, this seems like it must be a stumper for a lot of people? I think I have a basic grasp of it but I just wanted a second opinion... Even on Pirate nobody posted anything. I figured I would get blasted but at the same time get the answer. Where Is everybody and their insight?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 10:51 AM

The stock ignition is run by a red 14 gauge with white tracer. A little farther into the engine compartment the '78 factory wiring diagram labels it as a 1.35-ohm resistance wire, still red/white. It doesn't show a splice, so I don't know if it's resistance all the way from the firewall connector, or has the resistance wire spliced to it somewhere along the way.

The '78 diagram doesn't show a blue wire anywhere in the engine compartment, but the oil pressure sender wire is a purple 18-gauge. And there a lot of black wires. They obviously made some changes in the interim.

As for wiring your ignition, I would recommend using the red/white to energize the coil of a relay. Even if it is resistance wire it'll pass plenty of energy for that job. Then run a 12-gauge wire, with an in-line fuse or fusible link, direct from the hot side of the solenoid to the relay, and run your ignition from that relay. That way you don't have to replace the stock wire, which might not be able to supply enough energy for a hot ignition system.

That's assuming that your new ignition system wants to run on full battery voltage. That information should be in the documentation that came with it.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

The harness is a combination from an 1982 CJ7 and an 89... Basically the same harness (The engine compartment harness is from the 82, the rest is from the 89 Joop). According to my book the blue wire that enters the Stock Ignition Module goes to the ignition switch (For 1980-1983 models) along with the big red w/trim... I imagine the red one is the main feed seeing that it's a 10 gauge wire.. Both are control from the ignition switch.. The red splices off to the + side of coil and the + side of the solenoid. The blue is spliced inside the harness, where it branches off... One lead goes to the ignition switch and comes back... one lead goes to the Ignition side of solenoid as the other goes into the Ignition module... So, aparently, the blue wire can be removed from the "I" side of the Solenoid and cut and capped next to the firewall. The 6al box should control the ignition etc. All I need is a switched 12v power source... I guess, trial and error.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode