Regular lift or Long Arm lift? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 10:57 PM
dnmll

Regular lift or Long Arm lift?

I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited. I am wanting to lift it but am not sure which lift I should do. I live 3 miles on a dirt road with washboard and a few dips. I usually drive this road about 45-50mph. Is the Long Arm kit going to give me that much better of a ride than a regular lift with this application? I do some offroading, but no rock climbing or anything real drastic. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 08:46 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnmll View Post
I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited. I am wanting to lift it but am not sure which lift I should do. I live 3 miles on a dirt road with washboard and a few dips. I usually drive this road about 45-50mph. Is the Long Arm kit going to give me that much better of a ride than a regular lift with this application? I do some offroading, but no rock climbing or anything real drastic. Please help!
Neither. Save your money for some gravel or a paving job. Your Wrangler is very capable as is.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Veteran

Are you doing the lift for the cool look or the increased offroad capabilities? If you want the cool look, be aware that a lifted Jeep will not be as safe on the road as a stock Jeep. The center of gravity will be higher, and with bigger tires, the brakes will be less effective. If you are doing it for the increased wheeling capabilities, I have to agree with Raduckal. I would hold off on the lift for a year or two. The JK Wrangler is an amazing off road vehicle straight out of the box. Take it on some trails. See what it can and can not do. See what you, as a driver, can and can not do. You may decide that your Jeep does everything that you want to do without a lift. If you finally decide that you need a lift, remember that there are many more costs than just the lift kit. The higher you go the more modifications need to be made. You lift the Jeep to fit bigger tires. They need bigger wheels. Now you need to regear both axles to get the powerband back in check. Bigger brakes are now in order. And a roll cage (should have been first on the list!). And it just goes on and on. Just have fun with it for now and think about what you really want/need the Jeep to do.

Scott

"The devil is red, but his money is green."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 12:12 PM
dnmll

I do want to lift it for looks, but I want it to ride the best it can. I heard the long arm kit gives you greater ability to run across the terrain at high speeds. I don't have a lot of dips, more washboard than anything. If I put the regular lift with reservoir shocks, will that work as well as the long arm? I know the long arm gives the wheels the ability to drop in the dips without throwing the Jeep everywhere. I have taken it offroading in the mountains and it handles the terrain great. It really rattles and feels like it is shaking to death on the roads to my house. Since I do that 3-4 times a day, I would really like a smoother ride. Thanks!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 02:46 PM

If you want it to ride as best it can, you will be hard pressed to lift it and achieve that. Some of these gurus may be able to tweak and fab to make it possible, but not me. Long arm kits help to correct some of the geometrical problems of lifting a newer Jeep, but mostly its just to get back something which was lost. I wouldn't mind having minr set just a little higher with some taller tires, but I'm not ready to start that cycle of problems yet. Any way, good luck to you on your choices. A lifted 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited does look sweet.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Long arm rides conciderably better than stock ever did. I have driven a few longarmed jeeps and the results are that I will do mine soon. I don't really even want but 1 more inch of lift, but i love the way the long arm goes down the road.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 11:23 PM

Yes, the long arm will give you a better ride than a lift using your stock arms.....but I would also suggest using rubber bushings instead of poly....

But even more important is the tires....one would assume you also plan to go to a larger tire to match that lift......the type of will have a drastic effect on ride....I personally will never use ProComp tires again....

I can't wait for the 31" ProComps on my wife's cherokee to wear out so I can put my 32" BFG AT's from the CJ on it....then I put 35's on my CJ....but they will be BFG....not ProComp

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode