TJ inner doors - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

TJ inner doors

It got too cold for me to bear anylonger today so I put the top back on the doors. I noticed 2 things.

I have a crack on the molding on my inner doors and the windows don't want to roll up or down. I am thinking the windows need lubricant. I have never had a need to take my inner door panels off. So can anyone provide some insight as to how to remove the panel?

Also My top is weathered to the point I have seen alot of older jeeps where the top material turns to grains. IE rough. Is there anything that I can put on it to reverse or repair this problem?

I tried wax once and that was a mistake. Took months to get rid of it.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 05:22 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Move to California and you won't have to worry about doors, much less a top.

The door panel will have clips...just pull on the edges...after you remove the typical inside hardware.

As for the top.....Armorall 'might' help a little....but otherwise, about time to buy another one.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Old Hand

I see what's going on here...tired of $3.59 a gallon diesel fuel aren't ya. You're gonna start driving the TJ to work on salvaged gasoline!!
Don't blame you one bit!
Aaron.

"4 squirrels runnin' on boggers...and they're angry!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 12:11 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

if it's supposed to be black, try forever black.
eBay Motors: FOREVER BLACK Vinyl Top Gel Kit Top Convertible Dye NEW (item 190173698221 end time Nov-20-07 12:54:50 PST)

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Eddie Hit the nail on the head.... Diesel is killing me plus I am getting tired of unhooking the trailer every day just to get out of bed and hook it back up the next day. I think I will leave it loaded with tools and hooked up to the trailer. I may even put road tires (salvaged road tires) on the jeep to make it handle a bit better on the road.

I would like to grease those windows up. I would imagine that D dawg is correct that there are some clips but how do you get that window handle off. I don't see a screw or a clip on it...

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 05:18 AM

You need to push the panel in a bit and pull on the handle so you can see the clip that's there. pull it out with a screwdriver or small pick but keep an eye on it as they can flick off. You also need to unscrew the door pull handle and without looking I can't remember if there are one or two more screws lowdown on the panel. After that it just pulls off.

As for greasing the window, the mechanism on mine has always seemed fine. I think it's more likely to be the door trim that the edges of the window slide up and down. Mine have caused problems in the past and another guy at work was having problems with his windows sticking on his 4x4. One of the fitters told him to squirt some dish washing liquid soap down the door trim. Worked a treat on mine too!

I have a soft top but I think best way to protect the hard top from decay would be to repaint it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Apprentice

best way to get the handle clip out is with a rag, slid it in at the panel and move it back and forth, it is suppeer easy, i used to use a screw driver and it took atleast 10 min per handle, with the rag trick i can pull them off in seconds, and the clip usually pokes into the rag so it doesnt go a flying.

now as for the mechenisims inside i cleaned all mine down with electrical contact cleaner and then lubed them up with dry graphite lube, and they all work great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode