which direction next? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

which direction next?

ok i got an 02 sahara with d30/d44 axles 4" of lift and some 34x10.5 ltb's and just mounted up my winch today. my question is that i am unsure of my next step in upgrades. i'm wanting to go with the spyder customs fenders and crusher fenders and rocker knockers...but in your opinion should i grab some stronger axles/r&p/and lockers? ive had jeeps in the past but they never got further than i am now. i want to build something capable offroad yet safe and hardcore looking at the same time. it will all get done in the end but what should i takle first? i appreciate the input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Take it out and wheel it, You will figure out what you need. For some little cash you could lock the front and rear and make her much more capable than a non locked jeep. The crusher corners bumpers and the like are great but as long as you have some good recovery points you should be good to go. Worst case you get some bumps and briuses, they will all get that no matter what.

Just my opinion,, everyone has them..

OH and for LEVE Get a roll bar!!!

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 06:20 AM

IMO it's asking too much of a D30 to turn 34s, so I wouldn't lock it. It may be OK for you, though, so do as Rio says and wheel it until something breaks or you find something you really need for your style and terrain.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 08:19 AM
Can't Get Enough

Roll cage first. Then look at axle upgrades.

Political Correctness - Because people can't handle the Truth
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

ok i'm lookin at the spyder customs trail cage. for daily driving and moderate off roading... would a lock rite be more suitable than say an arb or ox? also, do you really think it wouldnt be worth locking or beefing up the d30 if the biggest tire im going to be rinning is a 34x10.50?i know the d35's wern't worth a hoot but, i have always herd that the d30's were a decent axle...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 06:31 PM

D30 is a decent axel, and there are guys here who have beat them pretty hard. On the other hand I shucked a handful of teeth off the ring gear trying to back uphill out of a ditch, with an anemic 1-barrel 258 and half-bald 31's. My opinion is that it's OK as long as it holds up, but not worth putting any money in.

On the subject of lockers, for the front I would definitely recommend a selectable locker for street use - ARB, OX, Eaton E-locker or Detroit Electrac. I'm leaning toward the Electrac or E-Locker so that I don't have to add the complexity that goes along with air activation, and OX has apparently been teetering on the edge of insolvency for several years.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

but for the rear what are your views on the lock rite vs a selectable locker. im liking the price on the lock rite but don't want to regret spending the money on it
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I prefer selectable but cn't afford it in most cases so I have had good luck with the aussies. I love the Detroits but they are far overpriced. For 200 more you could have an ARB.

Keep in mind any selectable locker is going to require a carrier swap and gear set up.

As for in the rear if you don't mind the squeeling in the corners then put a spool in, but I don't mind the aussie in the rear of mine but in slick conditions IE snow and ice mine is all over the place at speed.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Veteran

The TJ dana 30 is not that bad of an axle. I believe it would hold up pretty well to your 34" tires. I would not be afraid to lock it with that size tire.

I am assuming you have 3.73 gears since you have the Dana 44.

I ran the same set-up Dana30/44 with 3.73 for 4 years with and Ox locker in the front and 37" MTR's. I finally broke the drivers side u-joint in the dana 30 but it was from neglect. I knew the joint was bad and was going to change it but I decided to try to pick-up a deer that I had killed with the jeep first. This involved crossing a narrow creek with 4ft vertical banks.

It is not as cheap to swap in a TJ front axle as it is other. The axle is not worth much but if you have 3.73 gears the locker will work in 3.73 and higher gear set-ups so if the time does come to upgrade axles you can recoupe quite a bit of your $$.

Brad

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Old Hand

Spend your money first on a cage and a locker(s). Alot of guys have had great luck with the Aussie lockers and they are affordable. Throw a cage in it and lock your rear 44, you'd be amazed where you will be able to go with the rear axle locked. If you want to stay with the Dana 30 and lock it too but are afraid of breaking it consider a limited slip. They are very effective in most terrain, until you get into rock it's like being locked if you have a good one like a Detroit Truetrac and you won't know it's there on the street. Back in the day my YJ did really good locked in the rear with a Truetrac in the front.
Good luck!!
Aaron.

"4 squirrels runnin' on boggers...and they're angry!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode