Receiver hitch tow hook - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 09:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Receiver hitch tow hook

Was wondering if anyone had any experience using a recovery strap with the hitch pin on a 2 receiver hitch? (not the ball). Since the strap could be looped around the pin, this would eliminate the need for a tow hook . I was told this could be done, but I have reservations on the strength of the pin. Tomken has a receiver hitch hook they sell:
http://www.tomken.com/partpics/large/tmm-1540-b.jpg
Do you think this is a better way to go? The hitch is a DrawTight installed on a 99TJ. Thanks in advance..
Matt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 09:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Receiver hitch tow hook

I have a friend that made a front bumper with recievers in it, and when we have to tow him, which is usually every run, we use the pin inside the reciever. He hasn't had a problem with it and we have towed him alot. I think it is much better than using the ball.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 10:13 PM
Official Curmudgeon

4WD Hardware has a D-ring clevis receiver. Shouldn't be hard to fabricate if you wanted to go that way
rather than pay the $33. It looks a lot better than using a hook.

As to the pin, I'd think you could pick the Jeep up by it in sheer but just looping the strap around it might
cause it to bend and sheer off the clip as could a somewhat sideways pull.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 10:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

just get a 2x2x12 inch piece of box steel, drill it for the pin, drill the other end for a monster clevis and you are done, indestructable too!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

just make sure you use a good pin and dont worry. a clevis style reciever hook is nice to avoid cutting the strap if you pull off angle.

dan

I do not intend to offend,I offend with my intent
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 11:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I'm shocked that nobody mentioned this.....I went without supper[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] to monitor this thread waiting for it to be said, but nobody said it..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].....WHAT ABOUT DIAMETER? If you use a strap of some kind, there is a minimum PURCHASE DIAMETER to preserve the load rating. The little 5/8" (or is it 1/2") pin is kind of a tight radius for a tow strap. How about slipping a bushing into the loop first to act as a thimble? You know....like they do for big cable anchorages. We just have to think more like riggers if we are going to get Jeeps stuck now and then.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Now go take on the day![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 10:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's another thing to think about. The original poster is wondering whether the pin is strong enough to hold the tow strap directly or if he should get a shackle insert instead. What holds that shackle insert from popping out? That's right - the 5/8" pin!!!! Of course it's strong enough. The receiver pin used to hold the shackle insert is the same as the one on the back of the pickup pulling the 10,000 pound trailer (with the proper load distribution setup of course - safety first). Excellent point Dave, the stress is not being distributed over much area on that strap!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 12:16 PM
Official Historian

snowtow

with the pin through the strap, the pin is in shear as well as bending. with a shackle insert, the pin is just in double shear. much stronger.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 12:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good point Will. I didn't think about the bending forces. Nonetheless, the pin is still strong enough to extricate a Jeep from just about any situation it could be in. A SWB Jeep could be hung from that little pin. The real weak point is the hitch and its attaching points. A class III hitch is only rated to 5,000 pounds and most of the winches you see are at least rated to 6,000 pounds or more. The most important thing to use when extricating a stuck vehicle is that thing that sits on top of one's neck!!! :-)

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 12:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] A nice thick well-fitted bushing that slides in with the strap loop will put double-shear on the pin and do the job..EXCEPT that if you pull sideways it will cut the strap on the edge of the receiver tube. A tow hook with a 2" insert is still about the best for strap work,(less strain on bumper from side-pulls) and a screw-pin shackle with insert would be next.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode