Odd phone call/who are you? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Odd phone call/who are you?

Like the title says.....

Sorry if you didn't get the answer you wanted but it's my $.02.

3rd.........KUDOS to you mom for at least asking. I know you care by doing so.

Anyway...........let the story begin.

I got a phone call at work asking for me by my first name. It gets handed to me from one of the other guys up front. I take it like any other call......."this is Dave how can I help you".
On the other end a nice lady asks if this is Dave with the jeep from the SWB board. She very politely asked if she could call me at home or if this was a bad time. I wasn't too busy so I asked her what I could do for her.
She told me she had a son (15/16 sorry I don't remember that exact) that had a TJ and the first part of the question was what was the best lift? She let me know she had seen some and wondered about Skyjackers. Well I really like mine and has been a good piece etc. We discussed some prices and she didn't know they cost "that" much.(for a good one and IMHO I don't like the basic TJ kits from anyone) She then asked about saftey questions.

NOW...................

This is where I think it matters. I told her the truth in my eyes. I wouldn't buy a new driver ANY lifted vehicle let alone a swb jeep. She asked me why I bought mine. Answer was "several reasons". I planned on using mine was one of my answers. She replied with it "wasn't just for the look"? I let her know that I liked the look but it took away from the street ability and safety for a new driver. (I never added my age, driving record[spotless], or offroad time) I then added that my daughter which is too young to drive loves mine BUT!!!!!! the last "first car" I would put here in was a lifted jeep. My opinion was to let him drive it for a couple years and get used to it. If he didn't wreck it or destroy it (hey Andy ) then she would have a great gift (and not darned cheap) for him in two years.

So guy, whoever you are.........enjoy your new jeep. It will wheel great as is. Maybe we can even get muddy together sometime in the near future. YOU WILL ENJOY IT!!!! Yes I know it's not huge and the coolest rig on the block. BUT..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have something that most kids today don't have. A mom that cares about you and took the time to ask about something that she didn't know the most about. So even if you hate me...........heck you probably sent her to me since I drive a lifted one everyday and mod a jeep forum........just know she's right.

So hats off to you mom, you made the right choice by letting your son get experience first.

Back to the title..........who are you and glad you asked her.

Comments? What would you have done? I was young once, but have my own little one now too that I need to watch over.

BUY MY CUSTOM STICKERS!!!!!!

((good women are REALLY hard to find! She buys me Jeep parts, never complains when I buy guns, Jeep parts,
And she makes GREAT sausage gravy!)TR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

cool I thought this was going to end diffrently...

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Way Outta Control

VERY good advice DD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

so someone called you for jeep advice and you have no idea who it is??

that weiiiiiiiiird

you did the right thing and gave her the correct answer. go you

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 09:05 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Yeah, DD gives good advice. Just don't let him order your hot wings, unless you just want your lips to look Mick Jagger's.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 03:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Jeeps not for beginners

Man oh man was that ever good advice; AND.....because it came from you, the mom may not have as much difficulty convincing Junior that he needs to have way more seat time before his seat gets jacked up. I can remember getting out the catalogs and planning all of the different mods I would immediately make to my first car even before I actually had one. Of course in those days, (nineteen fifty-nine ) dual exhaust and three carburetors was about as much as you could do unless you dropped a truck engine in it or some such thing. My neighbor has a daughter in Junior high skool right now and she just loves the Jeep that Jeepchick has (99 TJ). I know that my neighbor secretly likes Jeeps himself, and he would probably like to get one for his daughter to drive in a few years, but he also knows that they aren't for kids.

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks in "The Heartland".
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:57 AM

I've dealt with this subject on several different occasions. I always give them the same advice, play it smart and wait a while. Driving is definitely a learned skill, and making mistakes in a jeep can be much more serious than a typical car.

But like DD said..... the guy has a jeep already.... he's a step ahead on the "cool" scale. He's just got to keep his head long enough to get to the next stage.

Let's hope that happens.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 07:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

DD you !

I had my mom all set up to by my new JK a lift for X-Mass....Now all I'm gonna get is a new gameboy...

I hate you!

A bad weekend of wheelin', is still a good weekend.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:34 AM
Veteran

The kid can't complain too loudly about not getting the lift. It's a free Jeep, what more could you ask for?!?! And good advice, by the way. Looking back, I am glad I found out what my Jeep (and myself) could do bone stock before I added a lift.

Scott

"The devil is red, but his money is green."
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:58 AM

LomodYJ stole my response!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode