Another tire qusetion for the newbie - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 06:15 PM
krispy

Another tire qusetion for the newbie

I have researched the old threads and have not found current information to adequately answer my question. I have an 03 wrangler sport with stock 15x7 alloy rims and stock 30x9.5x15 tires. Will 31x10.5x15 tires rub on the road, off road, with sway bars off? I noticed that there is from .75 to 2 inches between current tires and bottom of coil spring mounts. What inexpensive yet safe modifications can be done to eliminate any tire rub if any. Or am I better off just getting some 30x9.5x15 mtís? I will be driving up to the mountains every weekend to snowboard and wheel in the snow. Iím thinking I will get better performance in the snow with a skinnier tire, am I right to assume so? Also opinions on either GY wrangler mt/r or BFG mt.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 04:38 AM

Welcome to the board! There are plenty of guys here who can answer your tire size question accurately, so I'll leave that to them.

But I can help with the snow questions. Yes, for sure skinny tires work better in snow. They drop down through soft snow to get a bite on solid ground. I have had 31X10 BFG MTs on my CJ7 for almost 20 years and they work fairly well in snow. Of course, anything with open, agressive tread will work fairly well in snow with four wheel drive. I would doubt that you could tell the difference between any similar tires. But saying so is a good way to start up an argument around the pot-bellied stove.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 06:13 AM
Old Hand

I also drive a CJ, but I think I know part of the answer for this one as well.

I don't know if the 31's will rub. However, you could do a "budget boost" which places a 1" spacer between the spring and the spring mount. You retain all of the stock suspension. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, and you don't live in the rust belt, you should be able to do the job in a day.

Rubicon Express sells the kit, along with many others.

-- Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

Welcome to the board. On the TJ a 31x10.5 tire will fit with no lift at all they will rub especially up front when you crank the wheel hard over or at full stuff off road. To stop the rubbing at full stuff a 2inch spacer lift will fix that. The rubbing on the lower control arm at full crank can only be fixed with an offset wheel, or I have been told there is an adjustment that can be made to make your turning radius a little larger thus not allowing the front wheels to turn as far.
Hope I've been some help
John

Please send check or money order for my bigger engine, drivetrain, axle, and tire foundation directly to me
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by babypoo View Post
I have been told there is an adjustment that can be made to make your turning radius a little larger thus not allowing the front wheels to turn as far.
Putting a washer or two behind the steering stops will do the trick. But it does increase your turning radius slightly. Here's a link:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/...teerstop-1.htm

And welcome to the board!

Scott

"The devil is red, but his money is green."
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 09:31 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Put on the 31's and enjoy.....don't worry about the rubbing...it will only happen at slow speed and when turning tight....but it won't hurt anything....the steel is tougher than the rubber.

The 31's will serve you well until they wear out....in the meantime you can enjoy the jeep and learn what you can do with it.....you will be surprised at what you can do with those 31" tires....

Something to remember is that when you go over 31" a lot of other things need to be changed....gears, lift, brakelines, driveshafts....on and on....so it's not as simple as bigger tires and taller springs.....

Oh....welcome to the board

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 12:55 AM

rubbage

the 31's will touch the top of the fender but won't rub the sway bar, a spacer lift won't solve the problem unless you also install at least a 3/4" bump stop extension. then you are all set. if you were to stuff in a 33 on the stock wheel it may contact the sway bar and lower control arm. at the stock height. the 33x12.5 on the rear however, mounted on the stock wheels will stick the sidewall of the tire against the upper spring mount.

My rubi sits on a 2.5" lift, stock wheels, 34x12.50-16 truxus m/t's and has no rubbing fully articulated with the sway bar disconnected, due to proper bump stop extensions. I thought I had a pic of the shortest possible extensions I made but couldn't find it.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:00 PM

rubbage

I was kinda wrong on the rubbage of the 31x10.5-15's.
If I was always right I would never learn anything.
anyhow I went out and checked my 00 sahara, I wasn't even aware it but it rubs a little, I never get to drive this one, heres a couple pics, you can see the shinny spot on the lower control arm, there is has been no contact with the sway bar.
I know, Ignorance is no excuse for running my mouth but I will always step up to the plate.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Old Hand

welcome aboard.
This is what I found out. I had aftermarket steel rims with 30x9.5 15s (Goodyear Wrangler MT) on my TJ they never rubbed. After finding a bent rim I replaced the rims with factory 5 spokes. Now I get a rub on my lower control arm at almost full crank. I will be switching my back spacing to fix that issue.
As for the 30x9.5, I made it through Moab with little issues. And I dont know if I will go up to 31x10.5
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Old Hand

I forgot I have sence (after moab) put in 1.5 in spacer lift in the front of my tj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode