OT What I bought my wife for sweetest day - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

OT What I bought my wife for sweetest day

Hey all I haven't been around for a while been busy with the baby, the wife and the boy. Looked at Jeep a couple of times in the garage drank an adult beverage or two closed the door and went back insde. As to the title of my post we got an accepted offer on our first home purchace and we are excited not a big olace but bigger than our flat. It's a three bedroom ranch 2 1/2+ car garage on just shy of an acre. I was happy with the price until I did the math and figured out what we will actually pay over 30 years...HOLY . But none the less just wanted to give you guys an update.
John
P.S. I know you all have that back thing or your busy that weekend so I won't even bother as for help moving

Please send check or money order for my bigger engine, drivetrain, axle, and tire foundation directly to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 09:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Congrats on the house...Don't pay for 30 years! Start with your first payment, pay an extra $10 or $50 or $100 anything! Will help incredibly on shortening the loan and how much you pay in interest.

Your lender can give you a "schedule of interest" that will tell you how much of each payment is gonna go to interest or principal...First year of payments are likely about 99% interest 1% principal....keep paying the next months principal (or more) and you can halve the amount you will pay and the time you will pay it.

Again, Congrats!

A bad weekend of wheelin', is still a good weekend.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Old Hand

Sence I get payed by weekly, I opted for "bi-saver" it takes 1/2 your morgage every 2 weeks (instead of 1 paymet a mo) two mo a year you actually make an extra 1/2 payment. that extra payment a year takes almost 10yrs and 40K off of my total cost Look into it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Pictures! the People demand Pictures!!!!

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 12:16 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Congrats on the house....nothing better than owning your own home (along with the bank that is).

Having a real house (and garage) that you and your son can work on will bring more hours of pleasure than you realize....and wait until you do your taxes....it means more money for the jeep....

Boy, can I give you a lot of advice on what you need for the house as far as tools go....

1. Shop vac...get the larger size hose....this will save your marriage...because you won't be using the wifes vac to suck of the dirt around the house.
2. Combi 18V cordless tool set - Drill, 5 1/4" circular saw, sawzall at a min...you will use this more than you think.
3. Lawn tools...yep...now you have to start doing your own yard work until your boy gets big enough...and you have a lot of yard to deal with.

And...I would help you move....but, it would be a bit of a drive for me...

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 07:01 PM

Awesome John. Nothing like calling something home. (even if the bank does own it)

Since I know you I hope it doesn't have a HOA in your hood.

BUY MY CUSTOM STICKERS!!!!!!

((good women are REALLY hard to find! She buys me Jeep parts, never complains when I buy guns, Jeep parts,
And she makes GREAT sausage gravy!)TR
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 05:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Smile House is good

Yes, house is good. Home ownership is good. Mowing the lawn can be kind of a drag, so I make sure and keep the lawn tractor serviced up and full of fuel so Jeepchick can mow when she wants to, and then I make sure and compliment her on what a great job she does. 2007 has been kind of a "house frenzy" as our daughter and her new husband bought a 100-year old Victorian. The hose sat MT for sixteen months so the plumbing was totally rusted up. Took lots of hammering to get everything going again. THEN, as soon as Spring Planting was over, Jeepchick and I installed central air in the Victorian; what a job! Installing central air isn't that tough; making it LOOK like you haven't installed central air is the hard part. We didn't want to hash up and hack up that classic house. The "kids" had been living in a tiny bungalow that was really awful so as soon as they moved to the vickie, we overhauled the bungalow so THAT was another house project. We had it ready to rent in about a month with a complete renovation, so now the kids are rental tycoons, and a rental project makes a very good deduction for them. We just connected up a brand new dishwasher in the vickie yesterday. Future projects include an upstairs bath, and a main floor laundry room. Of course we built a superb workbench and so forth in the basement of the vickie. Haven't done much with the two-spot garage (complete with grease pit) as yet. Sometimes when I stand in the garage I try to imagine the line up of cars that have been sheltered in that classic building. A 1924 Huppmobile perhaps? A 1932 Graham-Paige? A '47 Hudson? Houses are kind of fun; enjoy yours!!!!

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks in "The Heartland".
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Way Outta Control

Congrats on the house! You'll love the garage!

Did you look into a shorter term mortgage? Sometimes a 20 or even 15 year mortgage's payments aren't all that much higher. Then if you pay extra on the principle it's goes down even faster.

Hopefully you are on a fixed interest - variable interests are what is killing everyone.

Make sure your contract with the bank will let you add to the payments - the bank representative will tell you it does, but READ IT FOR YOURSELF IN THE CONTRACT. Some only let you pay ONE or TWO extra payments - that way they say you can, but don't tell you it's only for one or two.

I got screwed on one where I believed the liar. Since he told me verbally I could pay into the principle as much as I wanted and I believed him, I couldn't sue him!

It turned out for the good though - when I sent them more than the contract allowed, they called the note due - all of it! They gave me 30- days to pay off the balance!
I went to another finance company that I knew didn't play games like that - I had other properties with them already.
While I was applying for the loan I met a guy that wanted the property - he made a cash offer that I couldn't refuse! I nearly doubled my money on it!

And - paying the property taxes and insurance yourself saves - the mortgage company adds those to the principle - that spreads it out over the entire life of the loan. Then you pay it over the life of the loan - with the interest on it!

Think about it - you make a payment 10 years from now, and you are still paying a small portion of that payment for your first insurance bill along with all the ones since - plus 10 years worth of interest!! Not good!

And, when you shop around for your own insurance you save - you can find the best deals and eliminate the "kickback" the bank's insurance company gives the bank. That alone can give you a big savings!

It's much the same as when buying a car, and using the finance and insurance companies the dealer recommends. They get nice big kickbacks that you pay for!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

Fixed interest...for sure...not at prime but neither is my credit so that's ok. We did look into other loans, and nothing else came close on payment but the loan we have has no pre payment penilty no additional fees no nothing but intreset. Pictures to come. Right now it looks like closing on the 5th of December and the me and the bank will own a home together for a long long time.

Please send check or money order for my bigger engine, drivetrain, axle, and tire foundation directly to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode