I have been gathering parts to start a build for my son and I am getting close to starting the build.
I am going to build about a half scale custom jeep crawler.
Here are the parts I have to start with:
2 industrial cushman carts
- 1 with a working gas motor, forward and reverse trans, good rear axle with brakes, 2 good leaf packs, and 3 good wheels.
- 2nd with good fuel cell and good fuel pump, rear axle, front steering, 2 good leaf packs,and 3 good wheels.
Alot of 1 1/4" tubing and 1/16" plate
Sprockets and chain.
Here is my plan.
1. Build a small version of a tube chassis for a Jeep, All this will be built to utilize the engine and tranny combo I currently have.
2. Build a chain driven all-time 4WD transfer case to spilt power front to rear.
3. Utilize the rear axle from one of the cushman carts along with 2 of the leaf packs. I may use the drive line but I have not thought that far ahead.
4. Find a light duty front axle that I can get the same gear ratio as the rear or modify my transfercase arrangement to compensate for the difference in front to rear gear ratio available and use the 2nd set of leaf packs for the front.
5. Then finish both drive lines and make sure the brakes work really good.
6. Get some aggressove ATX tires.
I haven't done much searching for a good doner front axles. Does anyone have any ideas??
Also, do I sound completely out of my mind yet
I just think this would be way cooler than on of those plastic big wheels.