Sons Jeep Build - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Sons Jeep Build

I have been gathering parts to start a build for my son and I am getting close to starting the build.

I am going to build about a half scale custom jeep crawler.

Here are the parts I have to start with:

2 industrial cushman carts
- 1 with a working gas motor, forward and reverse trans, good rear axle with brakes, 2 good leaf packs, and 3 good wheels.
- 2nd with good fuel cell and good fuel pump, rear axle, front steering, 2 good leaf packs,and 3 good wheels.

Alot of 1 1/4" tubing and 1/16" plate

Sprockets and chain.

Here is my plan.

1. Build a small version of a tube chassis for a Jeep, All this will be built to utilize the engine and tranny combo I currently have.

2. Build a chain driven all-time 4WD transfer case to spilt power front to rear.

3. Utilize the rear axle from one of the cushman carts along with 2 of the leaf packs. I may use the drive line but I have not thought that far ahead.

4. Find a light duty front axle that I can get the same gear ratio as the rear or modify my transfercase arrangement to compensate for the difference in front to rear gear ratio available and use the 2nd set of leaf packs for the front.

5. Then finish both drive lines and make sure the brakes work really good.

6. Get some aggressove ATX tires.

I haven't done much searching for a good doner front axles. Does anyone have any ideas??

Also, do I sound completely out of my mind yet

I just think this would be way cooler than on of those plastic big wheels.

Brad

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 10:38 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

How old is the little guy? Don't want to burst your bubble, but it may be wise to start with a 2wd version, but build it so you can convert down the road. I am sure most of us have been through at least one "I only turned around for a second and..." incident. I would hate to see just how out of shape that little rig could get in the amount of time it would take to turn back around. I would build it in stages and let the little guy learn slowly. My .02

Is this the only hammer you've got?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 02:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I want to do something similar so you go make all the mistakes and I will sail through my build!!

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 06:02 AM

That's a neat project, Brad! But the front axle is going to be tough. I can't think of a single lightweight steering axel. You may have to make one out of the other rear. By the time you do that the little guy might be ready for a 2011 CJ.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 06:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

How wide is the cushman axle?
I have thought about a project like this as well. Building basically a very small light jeep type buggie for a young person.

I have thought about using a D30/35 combo. You can find them all over the place for free. They are a little on the heavy side, but free is free, and you could even narrow them. You could build the whole buggie to fit inside the tires so it could be very low.

This sounds like a very cool project, keep us posted on your progress.

Once apon a time I played with legos... Now I have a Jeep
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 06:59 AM
Can't Get Enough

What??? Are you trying to make my sister divorce you? , you are crazy, but sounds like a fun project. What about axles from an ATV? You could possibly get both and extend them if needed, that way you would have two axles with the same set up. Just make sure you put a good full roll cage on that thing and a 4 point for Coop since he likely takes after his daddy and will be rolling this thing , oh, and don't tell Wendi that I contributed to this in any way........

kerryp
2008 Rubicon
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 09:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i was thinking: go hydraulic from a lawn tractor. you could do just about any sort of front "axle" you'd want then....lots of torque and good crawling speed too!

neat idea...keep us posted as to how it goes

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I figured I would build it as a 4wd and pull the front drive line if I felt that was a little too much for him for now. Also, the speed can be controlled with this set-up just as a golf cart is.

The cushman rear axles are basically just a smaller version of a standard rear axle with a pig, axle tubes, etc. I have not mearured them but I figure they are just a little over 4 ft from wheel mounting face to wheel mounting face.

My first thought was to use the 2nd rear axle as a doner to build a front axle. I was thinking build custom knuckles and use a Dana 30 unit bearing assembly for the outers, then just weld a yoke to the inner axle or have one splined to fit. I would rather find an axle to use this would be my last resort.

I have also thought about one of the 4wd golf carts or utility vehicles as a doner but I have not really looked that deep into that.

I want to keep this thing within reason on weight. I will use 0.0625" wall tubing and thin gauge steel for the body and cage. I have even thought about all aluminum body but I don't know yet.

I want to build something that 1 or 2 people could move around if needed, I am sure it will be too heavy to pick-up but rolling it and pushing it is a must for me.

I plan to start this build this winter and have it ready to run for next summer. Kerry, buy the way Wendi thinks it is a neat idea!!!

I will definetly post some pictures with build progress as I go.

Brad

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 09:43 AM
Veteran

Where do you Jeep freaks find the time to do this stuff? It's all I can do to find a few hours a week to work on my old utility trailer. And I'm not even re-engineering anything, just restoring it. Do you ever sleep?

Scott

"The devil is red, but his money is green."

Last edited by MTPockets; 10-31-2007 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Yours is not to question why...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 10:11 AM
Can't Get Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyCrawler View Post
Kerry, buy the way Wendi thinks it is a neat idea!!!
Brad
Well thats good, I was afraid she would see it as another Jeep to deal with . I think Coop will love it, your gonna have to build him a mini rock garden though. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

kerryp
2008 Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode