Tbi 350 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Tbi 350

I have a 350 out of a 94 chevy 2500 with throttle body fuel injection that i want to put in my CJ. i have the trans and every thing else figured out except for how to run the TBI. the problem is that all the wires that went through the fire wall were cut. does any one know of a cheep standalone system for the TBI? or how to make it work with a stock computer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 12:09 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Boy....am I the guy you want to talk to..........

I finished a SBC swap into my 84 CJ about a year ago....

First off....who ever chopped the wiring harness did not know what they were doing.

The wiring is actually a lot easier than it seems.

Go to a junk yard and pull the wiring harness from a donor veh....92-94 is just about the same...the only thing different is the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). You want the harness all the way to the computer. There are also a few wires that go to the fuse block inside the engine bay. You only need a couple of those wires......mine harness had been cut there so it was the biggest problem for me to trace out.

You will end up pulling out your existing computer harness and computer. There will also be a couple other wires in your chassis harness (left side under the brake MC...fuse block).

You will want the FSM for you jeep and the FSM for the donor truck.

The new harness will fit nicely through the hole of the old computer (after you enlarge it a little) and the new computer in place of the old one.

In reality, there are only about a dozen wires that you have to hook up....about 6 to get it running...the rest or for the OBDI connector, CEL, etc.

Last thing....the computer and harness also include the wiring for the transmission....the donor veh you get the harness from has to be the same transmission type....if you are running an auto you will need the harness from a truck with an auto......hopefully you are going auto...the 4L60 is a great tranny....

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the info.
im running a T176 with a custom bellhousing adapter and a Dana 300. will i need to get a computer from a 5 speed? what does the computer monitor from a 5 speed? how do i know which wires coming off the computer do what and what i dont need? does the computer control the guages or can i just run my own? is there a schimatic available to identify which wires do what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 09:50 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Quote:
You will want the FSM for you jeep and the FSM for the donor truck.
Ya gotta read the full post......

I don't think it matters what speed tranny the manual is....it only monitors the clutch. You will need to install a VSS sensor in the tail of the transmission so the computer knows what the speed is (not the xfer case)...unless you get the harness from a 4wd veh....

Gauges....you will not use most of the wires from for the gauges from the computer......instead you use your own oil pressure sender and temp sensor....I installed my oil sending unit in a port by the oil filter....the temp sender is using a spare hole in the right head............

I'll explain all of this in detail AFTER you get the FSM (Factory Service Manual) for the jeep and truck.....and get the wiring harness from the right truck. In many cases you are going to find a truck in the junk yard that has the engine pulled and the harness is just laying there. Another option is painless wiring..they may have a harness already set up.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode