Stupid question - does my jeep have a lift? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Stupid question - does my jeep have a lift?

Ok - I know this must really be a stupid question. But how can I tell if my jeep ('82 CJ7) has been lifted (2/3/4 inches/etc) from it's original height?

And for a follow up for my stupid question - as a second stupid question - I'd like to know if a lift kit is simple a spring which has been modified or has greater curve to allow for the higher ride? Or are there spacers between the frame and the springs?

Sorry - newbie questions.

-John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 07:58 AM
Way Outta Control

It is not a stupid question. It is a head scratcher for most Jeep owners, those who are new to Jeepin' and those who've been around Jeeps for years. Park you Jeep on level ground.

Measure from the Top of the Windshield to the ground. The Sock CJ7 height should be about 67.6 inches from the ground to the top of the windshield frame.

Another method is to measure from the bottom of the rocker pane to ground. Stock height is about 20".

One thing to realize is that CJs lean to the drivers side (normal) and that even lift springs will settle over the years and loose some height.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Old Hand

to find out what type of lift has been used, look at the shackels. Stock are genraly thin stamped metal. Aftermarket are heavier and have a welded support between the shackel arms.
Good luck adn welcome aboard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Good! Glad I wasn't totally clueless.

Anyway - I measured from the top of the windshield and it was 72 inches.

I measured from the bottom of the rocker panel - and I believe that was 24 inches.

BTW - The jeep has tires which say 33x12.5.

So - if I'm going to replace the springs and shocks - do I need to be concerned that the jeep has been lifted? (Looks like 4 inches???) Does this mean I need to make sure I buy new springs which are for a jeep which has been lifted? Or does it not matter?

Thanks for the help everyone,

-John
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 09:17 AM
Way Outta Control

It depends on the style of the lift. A lift can be accomplished by using the OEM springs and doing a Spring Over Axle. You can lift using afermarket springs. You can use blocks and shackles. I'd look closely at the springs and see if there's a number on them that would compare to an OEM part number.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Can't Get Enough

Those 33's are gonna make a big difference in your measurements. Not sure what the original tire size was...29" maybe? I think you may have a 2.5" lift. Is there a body lift on there also? If so, that will affect your measurements too.

1974 CJ5, D30, D20, D44, T15, 2.5" BDS Lift, 33's, Dual ARB's, 4.27's, Front Cage

/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-----)_)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I'm glad I asked... I thought it was an easy question.

Anyway - here are some shots of the suspension. The springs go under the axles - does this rule out hte "springs OVER the axles" lift option? Or am I mis-understanding what a spring-over-the-axle lift is?

Picasa Web Albums - John - New Album 10/...

Thanks,

-John
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 11:14 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

If you can take a pic of your jeep from the side it might be easier to tell what kind of lift you have.....with 33's, you will need some lift....unless those tires are completely filling up the wheel well.

SOA is just another way of lifting a jeep....and actually about the best way when you consider cost and overall ride and performance.

How stiff does your ride seem? Do your kidneys complain every time you go over a bump? If so, you most likely have about a 3" lift using cheap spring.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

ok - I've added some new pics from the side.

I think there is plenty of room in the wheel area.

Picasa Web Albums - John - New Album 10/...

-John
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 11:46 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Ok John....it looks like you have around 3 1/2 to 4" of lift....

Nice Tube you have there....putting one of those on a jeep is not for the beginner....Who ever did it most likely did some of the other mods right...as also evidenced by the lack of a body lift...and so you know, you don't want a body lift.

To be honest, if it was me....I'd pull the body off and sandblast the frame.....that also makes it a lot easier to replace the lines....

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode