Dana 30 High-steer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Dana 30 High-steer

I want to put some sort of high steer on my YJ with out getting rid of the Dana 30. I have a low pinion D30 out of the front of an old shoe-box bronco, this has kingpin knuckles. The thought was to replace my D30 knuckles and axel outers with that of the bronco axel. My only issue then would be that the bronco axel has drum breaks and a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. This is where my question comes in, would I be able to take from U-joint out and from breaks out from a Ford Ranger with Warn hubs and then have discs, 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern and selectable hubs? I would then machine out a high steer arm that bolts to the top of the kingpin like that of a Toyota, and connect my drag link to it. I would personally hate to have that many Ford parts under my jeep but some times they just work together, and in the end still only end up with a D30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 06:35 AM

Welcome to the board, and thanks for your service!

It's been a long time since I looked closely at D30 knuckles, but my feeble memory says that there isn't a substantial piece of metal on top that would safely hold a steering arm.

Why do you want to keep the D30 anyway? If you have enough lify that you're considering high-steer, you must have some pretty big tires, which would put that poor old 30 at the ragged edge.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

your right, there isnt enough to put an arm to it, thats why i want to go with the kingpin knuckle off the bronco. im running 35" boggers right now but the D30 is the only thing that i havent had a problem with. i have friends that race jeeps on supercross tracks in Mass and they run D30s on those rigs with no problems. I'm trying to find an option with what i have and I have most of the parts to do this, I just havent tried it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 09:07 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Have you considered doing a tie rod flip? That is what I did to my CJ...but then I had to undo it when I went SOA......but I'll be selling my 'modified' D30 in a couple of months when my D44 Flat Top is ready....

The link to High Steer has a lot of good info.....

The attached pic will give you an idea of what it looks like when you do the TRE flip...it got the bars up about 2"...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Right Axle.jpg (20.7 KB, 30 views)

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 09:13 AM
Can't Get Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDawg View Post
Have you considered doing a tie rod flip? That is what I did to my CJ...but then I had to undo it when I went SOA......but I'll be selling my 'modified' D30 in a couple of months when my D44 Flat Top is ready....

The link to High Steer has a lot of good info.....

The attached pic will give you an idea of what it looks like when you do the TRE flip...it got the bars up about 2"...

That's what I did to mine, except I swapped out the TRE's for heims and used 1 1/4" tubing for both the tie rod and the drag link. It gave me alot more room and I haven't bent anything.......yet.

1974 CJ5, D30, D20, D44, T15, 2.5" BDS Lift, 33's, Dual ARB's, 4.27's, Front Cage

/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-----)_)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Old Hand

Well I would not put this type of cash into a D30 if your going to run a tire over 33s but they make a knuckle that will put the drag-link up high for like SOA setup but it keep the Tie-rod in its stock place.

Here ya go. there may be more out there that make this type of setup.
TeraFlex Jeep Suspension Systems - Jeep Builder

88 YJ SOA2.5" 2"BDY Locked F/R Chevy 4.3 NVG241OR 4.56's 36x12.50

Last edited by mach2_nh; 10-26-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode