Guns in my jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Guns in my jeep

I've got the hunting bug it has been about 20years. Is there a easy to make gun rack for my jeep? Maybe something over head like between rollbar and windshild, kind of out of sight ? I only have a soft top. Thanks Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 12:54 AM

I would go with somthing on the side, like next to the rear seat. that way you dont risk having a shotgun hit you on the top of your head. i would have it attach to the main bar and the rear bar with rubber coated hooks like a rear window gun rack would have.
Colin
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 09:09 PM

Remember that you have to "define" out of sight. Jeeps are kind of tough to carry guns in legally and out of sight without being considered "concealed". First thing to look into is your local (city/county/state) laws. Federal are the easiest. And I would advise to take what you get for info on this with a grain of salt online from boards. You don't want to get into trouble on matters like this.

So it's not a matter of where to mount/carry a gun, but HOW to in your vehicle. I would personally start by asking a couple gun stores, THEN.........and I mean DO IT........ask your local LEO.

Not to be ANAL, but you could easily lose your right to even have them by getting this wrong and getting pulled over and answering questions wrong. (you have the right to not to consent to a search even if you think you have nothing to hide)

Better safe than sorry.

BUY MY CUSTOM STICKERS!!!!!!

((good women are REALLY hard to find! She buys me Jeep parts, never complains when I buy guns, Jeep parts,
And she makes GREAT sausage gravy!)TR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Enthusiast

Here you go!

Kentucky State Police: Concealed Deadly Weapons

1978 CJ5, AMC 401, CJ T18, Scout D300, 2 1/2" Lift, Locked Front/Back
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks i never thought about that, i will ask around. Thanks for the insight i never would thought that opp. Dave
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Way Outta Control

Several years ago, one of the Off-Road Mags had an article on making a cut out in the floor of the Jeep. It was behind the back seat and meant for pistols. Then they made a box under the cutout and used the cut out flooring for the lid. It was pretty neat, and watertight (as much as any Jeep could be water tight). It was lockable (as much as you can lock anything on a Jeep) and easily hidden by a piece of rug.

It wouldn't take much to do the same thing for a rifle, if it could be knocked down. I can think of places, under the rockers, under the hood, under the tailgate, etc., that could also be used for such a strong box.

It could be a fun project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode