Air compressor again - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Air compressor again

Well the compressor with the new motor lasted about a month. It started not running to speed and the motor was getting hot. I shut it down and found that the pump was turning as if it was under pressure. I unhooked the pressure relief to be sure it was not clogged with no diffrence. After disconnecting the pressure line I found that the pump was the cause as it was still harder to turn than it should have been.

So I am faced with buying a 100.00 rebuild kit for this compressor and Hope it fixes it, or just throw in the towel and buy a new one. I am leaning towards the buy a new one. I just don't have time to keep messing with it every other week.

I have found that I do not have the stomach to spend the money to buy a 2 stage as they are all 800+

So can anyone recomend a good compressor for around the 500.00 range?

I have had no luck with the Campbell hausfeld types. So I have been looking at the Iron horse, Eaton, Eagle and IR models all have china made pumps.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 10:42 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I agree with buying a new one......consider how long it would take you to re-build it....what is your time worth......

I can't offer any advice on models.....but have you considered surplus? Any large companies in your area? A lot of guys I know are using compressors they picked up cheap at the company surplus.

Other than that, used is not really an option....most people don't part with a good compressor...they wear it out and then buy a new one.....the only exception is finding a guy getting a divorce and needs money bad......

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Everything around here is 3 phase. I think I want to go new, I am just tird of repairing air compressors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 11:10 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

How about going to the local big rig junk yard and pulling a pump off an older OTR truck. It's been a long time since I worked on one that wasn't integrated into the front cover, but they are out there and should sure stand up to the task. Most will probably have threaded holes in the bottom of them and maybe a v-belt pully already installed. You would have to rig up something to keep the clutch engaged, but this should be the easy part.

Is this the only hammer you've got?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 11:33 PM
Old Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio_Grande View Post
Well the compressor with the new motor lasted about a month. It started not running to speed and the motor was getting hot. I shut it down and found that the pump was turning as if it was under pressure. I unhooked the pressure relief to be sure it was not clogged with no diffrence. After disconnecting the pressure line I found that the pump was the cause as it was still harder to turn than it should have been.

So I am faced with buying a 100.00 rebuild kit for this compressor and Hope it fixes it, or just throw in the towel and buy a new one. I am leaning towards the buy a new one. I just don't have time to keep messing with it every other week.

I have found that I do not have the stomach to spend the money to buy a 2 stage as they are all 800+

So can anyone recomend a good compressor for around the 500.00 range?

I have had no luck with the Campbell hausfeld types. So I have been looking at the Iron horse, Eaton, Eagle and IR models all have china made pumps.
I payed $750 for my 2 stage 12.5 cfm at 175 psi and a 80 gal tank. stand up.
About 5 weeks ago. I LOVE it!!!!!!! got it from HomeDepot. The pump and tank are even made in the USA!!!!!!!!!!

88 YJ SOA2.5" 2"BDY Locked F/R Chevy 4.3 NVG241OR 4.56's 36x12.50
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i picked this up used for 400 bucks.. i think its around 500-600 bucks new.. and i love it!! Very, very quite compared to most single stages.. i am very pleased with it..

Survival is instinct, Living takes guts!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:29 AM
Old Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgod View Post
i picked this up used for 400 bucks.. i think its around 500-600 bucks new.. and i love it!! Very, very quite compared to most single stages.. i am very pleased with it..
I have a friend with the same specs as yours. He likes it allot. The only thing it has a hard time with is Sand blasting.

88 YJ SOA2.5" 2"BDY Locked F/R Chevy 4.3 NVG241OR 4.56's 36x12.50
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I can get into an Iron Horse with 11.5 cfm at 90 psi for 350.00 I know they are assembled in the us but I am not so sure where all the components are made.

I may just get It, I was just concerned that 11 cfm wouldn't be enough for sandblasting and the like.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Journeyman

compressor

utilize the 3 phase if you can,it would be worth it.
I picked up a IR 5hp 60 gal about 6months ago, use it daily and I like it alot.
I plumbed in the old tank with a ball valve and utilize the extra capacity for sandblasting and HVLP painting, this takes some of the load off of the new unit.

How did I get sand THERE!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Addict

Jeepgod, ya still got that nasty looking cord set up on that compressor.

Booger

"Genius and insanity sometimes walk the same side of the steet"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode