Anyone know how to rebuild a 9" Posi? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Question Anyone know how to rebuild a 9" Posi?

Hey guys,

Gonna go with the 9" now instead of the 8.8 for the SOA. Getting better prices on components, and like JeepDawg said to me a while back, "it's a stronger axle".

I'll be getting a factory posi for it, but it will need to be rebuilt. I want to do it myself rather than paying some shop to do it as I figure it can't be all that hard. I can setup gears, so I'm sure rebuilding a posi should be a walk in the park by comparison. Rather than tearing things apart and going "#&$& what have I done!", I figured I'd call on the expertise from this forum first.

So anyone know where I can get some instructions/specs for doin the job.

Thanks again guys.

PS: I did a search on the board and couldn't find anything....or I didn't look hard enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

if its a factory ford posi. It is pretty simple. There should be three or four screws that hold it together. Them come out and the case is in two pieces. But make sure you put c-clamps on the case to hold it together. The threads will strip with the pressure if you just try to let the screws hold it. Same goes for putting it together. C-clamp together then start and torque the screws.

There are at least two different factory posi units. A stronger one and weaker one. They both crack though. So inspect it good before you put money into it. If you plan to do rocks with it. You wont like it. The clutches will burn out quick and they just do not have enough grip to turn both tires when one tire has most of the weight.

What????
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
If you plan to do rocks with it. You wont like it.
If it's like the unit that came in my '78 you won't like it in snow or mud either, for the same reason. The amount of lockup they provide is proportional to the amount of grip the tires have, so if one tire has almost nothing you'll get almost no lockup.

Clutch-type units were designed for street use, and are best for drag racing. If both tires are on dry asphalt they'll bite like a pit bull and burn down two nice patches of rubber. If they're used in low-traction situations where they can't lock up, the clutches get garfed pretty quickly.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

so would i be better off looking into a true trac for a posi unit then? I'd go locked but I use my rig on the street about 70% of the time so i figure i'd wear out my tires too quickly. An air locker is out of the question because of cost.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 06:27 AM

There are compromises any way you go. A real locker can be annoying on the street. If you go around a turn with power applied it will lock up and try to drive you straight. Once you get in the habit of backing off the gas in turns they do fine. They can also be tricky in snow because when both rear wheels spin, the back end gets very loose and will go sideways at the slightest provocation. Again, you have to learn some new habits, but lots of folks do and get along fine.

I've been getting along for years with worn out clutches until I save up enough time and money for a selectable locker. I'm close now, and will probably get an electric, either Eaton E-Locker or Detroit Electrac. They cost about the same as an ARB, but don't rely on the additional complexity of the compressor, regulator, filter, hoses and valve.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Go with a detroit locker. I was afraid of the same things you said. Once i got used to driving it, i was happy i went that way. At first you will chirp a tire at every tight turn. Once you learn to gas, let off, turn, then gas again. You will forget it is even there. As for snow or rain, a posi is just as bad.

A selectable is the best route, but like you said, money is hard to come by sometimes.

Get a detroit, you will be happy you did in the long run.

What????
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the input guys. i'll stay with an open carrier for the winter, or until I get my hands on a locker.

they haven't made an e locker for 9" yet eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode