Radiators - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 08:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Radiators

Hello,
I have a 83' CJ7 with an I-6. I have been doing research into what is out there as far as radiators go, and I was hoping to get some
feedback on what other people are using and how it cooling for them. What I am looking for is a top quality copper or aluminum
radiator that will keep my coolant temp. pegged right at 195 (my thermostat temp), no mater how hot it is, how slow I am driving, or
if I have the A/C on. I also want to avoid cleaning out my pocket, so I am trying to avoid Be Cool, and getting a custom radiator
made, even though this would be a solution. Some name brand companies make generic size radiators that are close to the 25"x
19" that I need. Any experiences with that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 08:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Radiators

How hot is it running right now? Do you have a two core radiator if you do you could upgrade to a three core from a Jeep for about $200. Also if you can hook up a chevy style radiator you could use a Griffin radiator for about $160-$180 from Summit. I haven't upgraded to any of these yet because I don't mind my engine running at 220-270 degrees.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 08:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just had my radiator cored and resealed, I put in a new thermostat and housing with new hoses, and it runs perfect temp. I am wheeling this weekend and will let you know how it does, but sitting in rush hour traffic for an hour it was a constant temp no problems, and only cost me $80.00, for all of the above! Just a thought

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 08:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You'll have to check, but I think a corvette radiator fits in a Yj, maybe it'll fit in a CJ. Otherwise, look into the dimesions of other sports car radiators, they cool fairly well for their size.

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 08:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well,
Right now I am actually have a three core radiator. I don't know what sort of temperature it will run as I still have several months on
ground-up rebuild. The thing is that the engine will be making about 40 more hp which means more heat. That combind with A/C
now, a oil-to-water oil cooler (the cooler the water temp. the cooler the oil temp.), and me taking this vehicle out west makes me want
a better radiator. I am looking at the Griffin, Howe, and AFCO as my choices of common affordable radiators. All three have some
good ones to choose from two core aluminum for under $200. Griffin has a four core copper radiator that is 25-1/2"x19" for $161.95 in
the Summit book, that may be what I need.
Ethan

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 10:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a modified 258 (cam,carb,comp,header,etc) and I had my radiator rebuilt for $75 and I haven't managed to get it over 205 deg. even playing in the sand on a 105 deg. day! I don't have an oil cooler like you discribed but I do run an auto with an auxillary cooler. I also run a 180 deg. thermostat and the original fan and shroud with a new clutch on the fan. It usually runs about 180 to 195 now.
86 cj-7 258 auto

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 10:26 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Spend the money on electric fan(s). This is the only way to meet your objective of going slow,
running the air conditioner and keeping the radiator temp down. I have a replacement 3 core Jeep
radiator cooling a 305 TPI and it hardly gets off the cold mark. Runs warner at 70 mph on the interstate
than sitting in a traffic jam. What does this is 2 electric fans taken from the engine donor Firebird. Also
add a catch tank if you don't already have one. I have not hooked up the air conditioning yet but the
condensor coil is there in front of the radiator.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 10:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A couple of guys in my 4x club have Griffins and they are really nice, cool like a dream. Don't have any experience with the others. Just my 2 cents

absolutjeep
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 11:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sounds like you could just use a good modine stock replacement unit. just make sure you get the hd model for that year of jeep. unless you have made serious power mods or swapped in a v8, there is no need to go outrageous on a racing radiator. just my $.02

dan

I do not intend to offend,I offend with my intent
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 11:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the advise all of you guys. Absolutjeep I am really interested in the Griffins the some of the guys in your 4x4 club run.
Do you by any chance know which ones they used and what how much trouble they have had putting them in?
Ethan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode