I think I finally found the problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

I think I finally found the problem

What is the plate that goes between the bellhousing and the block that the starter bolts to called, well doesnt actually bolt to it but goes in between the starter and bellhousing......I got under there and losened the starter and I can push the starter a certain way and the grinding clears up when I bump it over.........Got o looking at that plate and the plate looks all warped, also when the starter is bolted on, the starter should fit slush correct???....well it doesnt, there is a gap on one side that is big enough I can stick a good size washer in it, so that tells me something is holding the starter and I looked at the starter and there are no burs or anything so.........what do yall think???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Old Hand

Pics of wheeling never show how it really is. But a pic of something like that would be like 1000 words.

Can you get one?

88 YJ SOA2.5" 2"BDY Locked F/R Chevy 4.3 NVG241OR 4.56's 36x12.50
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Enthusiast

I'm coming in on this one a little late so sorry for the questions,

Did you just pull or re installed the engine? If not, I would question why the the starter is no longer flush and the dust cover moved. That cover is held in place with the other 4 bolts that go from your engine to your bellhousing.

Carnell

1986 stock CJ7 rebuilt 4.2L 258 more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

I have been trying to troubleshoot a grinding starter for awhile now. I dont know why it is bent. You want a pic of the plate????is that what you are asking??
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast

A picture would help out but I'm wondering why the plate moved in the first place or why the starter isn't flush. This just started happing right? Or what I mean is that I know you have had this issue for a few weeks, I'm jus trying to see what changed to cause this to happen.

Carnell

1986 stock CJ7 rebuilt 4.2L 258 more to come
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

I am kinda confused on that too, nothing has really changed besides me setting it in time when i installed the new distributor, unless I just never noticed it grinding before and it just got worse to wear I could hear it because the previous owner put a new flexplate and starter in it right before I got it.....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 09:08 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

The plate that you are talking about is a 1/16" plate that goes between the block and transmission bellhouseing....and yes, part of it is at the starter.

It sounds to me like the plate got bent a little bit......

Here is what I would do....

Inspect the bellhousing to make sure that it is flush against the block....very important. If the part of the plate for the starter is bent....then use what ever tool works (hammer, pliers, etc) to get it as straight as possible. When you tighten down the starter bolts it should pull the starter in and straighten out the plate even it is slightly bent.

As you have figured out....the starter needs to bolt flush against the bellhousing.

Good job finding the cause.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

thanks......
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 05:41 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Smile Bolting??

At the risk of possibly sounding redundant, did you check to see if the bell housing is still bolted tight against the engine block? I have seen more than one automatic tranny get loose and actually break the flex plate. If the bell housing got loose when the Jeep was previously owned, the bolt holes may be waddled out and the bell housing-to-engine bolts won't stay tight. Not a big problem since you can use long studs and lock-tite them in place and then use nuts to hold the tranny. My pickup has an aluminum bell housing and the PO let the four-speed tranny get loose. I had to use the stud-in-place-of-bolt trick on it.

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks in "The Heartland".
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

yeah I checked that, it is good, I used lock-tite when I put it back together, felt a little safer this way.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode