Soa Lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Jeepman2187

Soa Lift

I have 93 Wrangler and last year i put a 3.5 inch lift on it, just the usual leaf spring lift. But i want to do a SOA lift this year. Can i use the leaf springs i have on my jeep now to do the SOA lift, or am i going to have to get flatter leaf springs? And if the leaf springs i have on now work will my jeep have to much lift to it and look funny? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 01:49 PM

SOA is a simple concept, but there are a lot of ways to make a real hash of it. Ask a lot of questions and look at a lot of examples before you decide to jump in. You Here's one place to look:

Scary Steering!

SOA is about a 5" lift. That will give you 8 1/2 inches of lift, which is an awful lot. You'll need huge tires to make that look right, which means bigger, stronger axles.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 02:07 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

As Jim noted, while the concept seems simple, there is a bit more to it than is apparent..

Unless you spent big bucks on those 3.5" lift springs, I'm sure noted how much stiffer the ride is....going SOA using stock springs will give you back your old ride.

The following is a list of points and issues you need to be aware of.

1. Longer shocks and new shock mounts. Don't do the dorky thing that some do and use your stock spring plate and attach the shocks to that. One of the reasons for doing SOA is to get more axle travel...you want the longest shock you can get. Once you have everything done, measure the distance and select the shock based on that.

2. Dropped Pitman arm - No way around it unless you go High Steer.

3. CV Driveshaft - Bite the bullet and do it right...there is no way you are going to get out all of the driveline vibrations by just shimming the axle...get the CV ds and be done with it.

4. Longer spring perches - This will help reduce (but not eliminate) the spring wrap that Jim L was talking about. I made the mistake of using stock perches and I have spring wrap real bad...

5. Longer brake lines.

Those are the major items....you will need to do some welding. I would suggest that when and if you do it, get everything installed with the jeep axles sitting on jack stands...align your real axle so the pumpkin points to the rear of the xfer case...then weld the rear...on the front, set it up so it looks close then tighten it down and then take it to an alignment shop so they can set the caster before you weld the front perches.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 05:22 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

If your main concern is 'looks', then you've got a lot of reading to do. Maybe you can answer some questions for us and we can help better.

SOA should only be done once you understand why it is you want to do it. Why do you want to go SOA?
Do you wheel it, or are you going just for looks with the Jeep?
Are you going with a larger tire than your 3.5" lift will allow?
What axles do you have now? Any tire that an SOA will allow, even with flat springs, would probably require stronger axles, as Jim pointed out. That is of course, if you're going to wheel it.
What type of wheeling do you want to do? Rock crawling, mudding, sand-blasting?

Good luck
Pete
SOA, flat springs.

88YJ: Old, noisy, slow, and just generally wonderful. Wheeling Jeep.
04WJ: Less old, less noisy, less slow, daily driver Jeep.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Way Outta Control

There's no such thing as a cheap lift. You'll spend money to do it right. And, if you do it wrong.. you'll spend more money. Plan your work, and work your plan. So have you regeard the diffs, or are you going to miss out on all that power and money wasted at the fuel pump?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode