help t18 d20 from 73 scout will it work in cj - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 03:50 PM
stevo

help t18 d20 from 73 scout will it work in cj

I have a 79 cj with 258 and t150 trans now and want to change to the t18 d20 from the 73 scout if possible with out to much work. I have found all the ford change out and jeep t18 change out sites but not any for the scout. The trans has a code t18-1B and yes its not t18-1E (most of the ford have this code) Date code if its like the ford is D22 1. This trans if it codes like ford is a 72 date code. The clutch shaft is 6 and 1/2 inches like the ford but the shaft is not 1 and 1/16" thick its 15/16". Can I swap out the clutch shaft and bearing retainer out of the t150 and change the gear? or should I just get a clutch and throwout for a 73 scout. What about the polit bearing AA sells the ford t18 to AMC but I don't think this will work? Also how do you find out if the first gear is the great 6.23 or the 4.01? Thanks to any one than can help.

Last edited by stevo; 10-11-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Veteran

Hopefully this old post will answer most of your questions. It is written about the T-19 but much if not all of it, applies to the T-18. Great old post

No your T150 input shaft and bearing retainer will not work.

If the transmission is out of the scout the easiest way to find the ratio is to count turns of the input shaft till the output turns once. If still attached to the engine then the easiest way would be to look on line ticket (usually in the glove box). This will have a code listed for the transmission T-*** (where the *'s are numbers. I can't remember what code is for what ratio but a little internet searching should turn that up if you still have the line ticket. If this fails you could pull the top cover and count the teeth on the input shaft, 13 and it is a 6.32 more (around 20 IIRC) and it is a 4.0

Wilhelm

I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 10:10 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

What he said... and I will ad my 2 cents because I have been through this. I bought a T18 D20 combo off of ebay a few years ago that was supposed to be a Jeep application. It had a funky bellhousing, input, and release bearing, but would bolt up to my 258. Bad part was that the release bearing was just about shot and for the life of me, I could not find a relacement. The harder I tried the more I found myself wondering exactly what the tranny and t-case had come out of.

I am an off the the shelf parts type of guy. When I swap something in, I don't want to have to search to the ends of the earth for the right part, gasket, or specialty bearing to keep it working. I want to go the the nearest parts store and tell them I need this part for this vehicle, even though it's gouing on my Jeep. I figured even if I found a source for the correct release bearing, eventually I would be searching to the ends of the earth again for the next item that wore out.

There is plenty of info out there on swapping in the Ford version of the T18, but the info I had found was hit and miss for the Scout versions.

I purchased a Ford input, retainer, and front bearing through the local parts store and tranny shop. Then I bought the adapter pilot bearing through Novak. Bolted the T18 to my T150 bellhousing, used the Jeep clutch, and put the whole thing under the Jeep. Simple and reliable. If any of the parts wear, I know just where to find replacements. The only thing that isn't readily available is the pilot bushing... I bought two so I have a spare on hand.

Unless your tranny and t-case came out of a CJ, which it obviously didn't, this is the route I would take.

Side note: During my research and when reading similar items about the Scout T18's I was told or read somewhere that the front bearing retainer on the Scout version has a different bolt pattern than the Jeep or Ford versions, making the swap I explained much more difficult to say the least. Might be worth verifying before you move forward.

Is this the only hammer you've got?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 08:14 PM
stevo

Angry

thanks for the help. I have 23 teeth on the input shaft (the 4.0 gear set) the ford shaft will have to be changed and from the info on the link site for t19 looks like I have to change a lot and the input shaft can't be converted. Looks like I need to find another trans.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 07:50 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

You might do some more checking and hang on to what you have. Ford version T18s should be plentiful and more affordable. And MAYBE you can use the rear gots of the Scout tranny to mate the Ford case to the D20. Then just use your T150 bell and adapter pilot. Not sure if this is possible, but may help keep the cost down if it is.

Is this the only hammer you've got?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode