Gear Install Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Gear Install Question

I have been helping a buddy install new gears in his Dana 35. He destroyed his 4.88's so we were replacing them.

He called me because he installed the the 4.88's then he started to hear a noise. Well I went over to his house and he said his pinion nut had loosened up but he also said he couldn't get the crush sleave to crush the night before.

So we pulled the rear completely apart and he had shimmed it incorrectly to start because he couldn't get the crush sleave to crush.

We reshimmed the pinion depth, then I set the backlash at 0.08. But when we would go to crush the crush sleave I have never had such a hard time. We had a 4 ft cheater bar on a 3/4" breaker bar to get it to crush and get the play out of the pinion.

After everything was set we drove the jeep around for about 15 minutes and it ran great. The next day on his way home from work he starts getting the same vibration, when he gets home he finds the pinion nut loose again.

We lock tighted the nut but the damn thing still back off. We fixed again and he has been driving it for 2 days now without a problem.

Has anyone ever had this re-occuring problem of the pinion nut coming loose? Also, have you ever had that hard of a time getting the crush sleave to crush?

Brad

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Way Outta Control

On a crush sleeve design differential it usually takes between 300 to 400 foot pounds of torque. If you don't have an air operated impact wrench capable of this much torque... you're stuck with the rest of us... using a huge (3/4) socket/ratchet and standing 5' out on a breaker bar, jumping up and down and praying the socket doesn't break or slip... that's if you're lucky enough to have clearance. Check out Aaron's homemade tool:

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Can't Get Enough

Yes, it is possible to have a pinion nut loosen. Especially if the nut has been removed and reinstalled (A new nut is cheap insurance here) or if there is a little slop in the splines. Not to question anyones ability, but are you sure the nut backed off or is it possible that a bearing or race was not properly seated and "worked" into place?
Too bad you can't get a solid pinion spacers for all the differentials that use a crush sleeve. I put one in my 8.8 and it was the best $20.00 I have spent.

Political Correctness - Because people can't handle the Truth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Not sure about the frist set-up, but I am positive the races were seated when I was helping him because I double checked them with a BFH.

Knowing Mike he has probably reused that nut 10 times so that could be his problem. I will get him a new nut because he is a cheap Ba$tard.

Brad

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Brad I have seen that more than once and I want to say it alwas had to do with using the old nut or not locktiting it the first time.

I am getting ready to take a crack at this. I have 2 44's to set up. I have resetup several but never done it from scratch.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio_Grande View Post
Brad I have seen that more than once and I want to say it alwas had to do with using the old nut or not locktiting it the first time.

I am getting ready to take a crack at this. I have 2 44's to set up. I have resetup several but never done it from scratch.

I can here my phone ringing allready......

As for the crush sleeve. I use a 1in drive braker bar that is almost 6 foot long to get the sleeve crushing, once it starts moving i go to the 3/4 drive bar.

As for the nut. Most of the time you can get away with using one twice. Three times is a bit much. I always feel the torque of the lock nut with a rachet before i impact it down. If it feels loose trash it.

What????
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks guys

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

you better believe your phone will be ringing.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 09:57 PM

Didn't know you were watching LEVE!

Yup, made more than a few of those down through the years, on everything from lawn mowers to earth movers!
I have one in the shop somewhere that has a 2" square drive hole in it! Guess what that's for!?...
---------------------------------

The gear and it's threads are usually pretty hard steel, but the nuts are usually pretty soft stuff.
I've stripped more than one nut myself.

Yukon seems to have crush sleeves that are just really hard to get them to break over!
Wiped out two nuts on the last set of Yukon gears I installed before using the nut Yukon sent (it held, but I don't like using the new nut to crush AND to torque...) and it held (knock on wood).

If the nut backs off after coming loose, and is inspected for damage, you should be OK with lock-tite, but this is one place you don't want to skimp on a few bucks!
I get a new nut with the gears, from the gear manufacturer when they will cough one up...

Use the old nut and molly lube to crush the sleeve,
clean off the threads really well, and use the new nut with lock-tite for final torque.

You already know once the darn sleeve crushes, it doesn't take much to do the preload!
Seems like one or two companies are sending out some really stiff crush sleeves...
Maybe someone should contact the manufacturer and let them know they might have a extra tough batch!

Who made the gear set you are having problems with, and did the crush sleeve come with the gears?
If not, where did the crush sleeve come from?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

He is using superior gears but he bought new crush sleaves from autozone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode