95 wrangler clutch problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

95 wrangler clutch problem

I'm right out of ideas on this new fangled jeep stuff. Is there any kind of adjustment on a hydraulic clutch? The symptoms are: no clutch until the pedal almost hits the floor. If I sit at a stop light with the clutch engaged the jeep will start to creep forward after a few moments. The slave cylinder has been bled which helped some. The clutch is supposed to be fairly new. Any ideas?

It's my son's jeep and he drives it fine, just takes it out of gear when stopping.

Brent & Sons
49-CJ3A, 63-CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 10:49 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

If it's like my old CJ-7 there is an adjusting rod on the clutch linkage. If I remember correctly, the adjustment was on the rod that goes from the clutch to the rest of the linkage. I'm sure there is a proper name for the rod, but mine had a threaded end with an adjusting nut. It was about 4-6" long and was easily adjusted. Here again, I'm speaking from memory of doing the adjustment about 8-10 years ago. It was pretty easy to get to from underneath. I sprayed mine with PBBlaster before trying to turn it. Good luck. Hopefully someone with a better memory or better knowledge will chime in soon.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 11:00 AM

If the clutch slowly engages when the pedal is held flat on the floor, fluid is escaping from the pressurized part of the system. There are only two possibilities; an external leak which will leave drops on the ground and require occasional replenishment, and an internal leak past the seal in the master cylinder and into the reservior. I suspect that the latter is your problem. Fortunately master cylinders are neither expensive nor difficult to rebuild.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

On a 95 there is no adjustment on the slave. it is a "Closed" system like the tj's My experience with that type of clutch is that the hose leaks at the slave or and the master cylinder. The unit is easily replaced. You can also replace the hose between the two by driving out the pins that hold the tube onto the ends.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode