wrangler ign problems? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 02:39 PM
JEEP N PA

wrangler ign problems?

Hi all newbie here to the Offroad.com sites.

Have a 97 wrangler 2.5litre 5spd which has been just recently aquired and have come up with a bit of a problem.

At first on occasion when you would go to pull out it would just kind of surge like it wanted to quit! / push in clutch rev it a few times and then it would go!

Now it has gotten to be quite regular and had been backfiring when this occured, Replace the cap rotor and plugs as the cap had signs of age and wear ,the back fire has gone but it still acts like the ignition is shutting down and then comes back.

Seems if i come to a stop and hold the throttle up around 1000/1200 then a few light revs and it will pull out ,once at speed it seems OK ? but if you go to say 4th gear and let the speed come down a bit and push the accel it wants to buck ..

Have never had or worked on the 2.5 and not sure what to check in this system,any common ignition problems on these motors ?

any help appreciated thanxx all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Way Outta Control

I'd start by replacing the coil wire. With either a known good one or a new one.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 02:57 PM
JEEP N PA

coil wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRich View Post
I'd start by replacing the coil wire. With either a known good one or a new one.
Rich i havent tried a coil wire yet !
Although when this started happening more often i had pulled all wires and cap/rotor to replace.
Found the post for the coil wire at the cap to be somewhat deteriorated and had the boot full of rust ,shook the boot and the dusty rust all came out wire end looks like new! so replaced cap rotor and plugs .

I suppose a coil wire is cheap enough to try a new one !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Way Outta Control

It's a good bet then. The carbon string in the coil wire may be broken, causing a spark to jump in there. That spark breaks down the oxygen temporarily into Ozone. Ozone really promotes oxidation - as it's a free O molecule trying to attach to something.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 04:45 PM
JEEP N PA

coil wire

Well RRich the coil wire did clean up the rest of my problem !

Now i need to find somewhere to buy just the coil wire for my Accel set !

thanxx for your thoughts !
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Way Outta Control

Accel is just common ordinary wire with a yellow coating. Their advertising makes you think they are something special. They are just silicone insulated wires.
Besides, where the coil is heat is not a problem, so you don't even need silicone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode