tj lift ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

tj lift ?

ok i have an 02 sahara. put a 4'' lift in it about a year ago or so. heres the thing. its got a raked look. back sits higher than the front which causes some rubbing issues off road. never herd of anyone doing this but could i throw a
2" spacer in the front to level it out. but that would be like 6" in the front and 4 in the back. shouldnt mess anything up tho am i right? makes sense but any thoughts would be great! thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Way Outta Control

What kind of lift?

New springs with it?

Long or short arm?

Was it like that immediately after it was installed?

Did you install it?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Old Hand

Like rrich is pointing out there is alot to think about before you get a GOOD answer. But My stock TJ started to sag in the front so before I added my winch I added a 1.5" block lift in the front. that did a lot for my tj, though I am slightly higher in the front (but so far im the only one to notice that)
\Good luck adn give us more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

ok the lift is a 4" rough country(cheap i know) short arm. now that i think of it i don't remember noticing it at first. but i've noticed it alot lately.not to say that it wasn't like that out of the box but i didnt notice it till a few months back. still got stock bumper no winch or anything on the front.and yes i installed it. oh and the lift was put on last december i think.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Way Outta Control

More than likely the RC front springs are sagging. You could temporarily "patch" it with spring spacers - do a search on the internet - not sure if you can get 2", but you can get 1.25's. They will "stack" too if you are careful putting them in. A good choice is the aluminum spacers in comjuction with the rubber ones together.
But cheap does what cheap is - they'll keep on sagging as time goes on. The cost would be probably close to about 1/2 of just doing it right.

Why not just do it right - use good springs and be done with it.
I've had very good luck with Rubicon Express springs - I've installed several and some of us have really abused them, but they just "bounce back."

I'd order a set of RE 4.5's - then you may end up with the rear a bit low - if so, a couple of 3/4 rubber spacers in back would probably do it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

thankss for the advise. i've been thinking about going with the re 4.5 springs for a while. i regret going cheap from the beginning. i'm not nessesarily new to the whole jeep thing being i'm on my second one but still trying to learn as much as i can. the lift i got came with the lowers that are bent into a semi "j" shape coils and track bar relocation bracket and t-case drop. it flexes but not like i want it to. ill probably end up ordering some new springs but what can i do to improve the overall flex. it didnt come with disconects. just extended links front and rear so i put an anti-rock sway bar on it. i was thinking some new lowers with johny joints or atleast heim joints... but dont know if that will really improve the flex. its really stiff as it sets. any suggestions?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 02:05 AM
Way Outta Control

The overall flex - when you have the springs out and supported on jacks, see how it flexes without any springs at all. You should be able to see what's limiting it. If that's not enough for you, then you'll need to go with a long arm suspension.

Short arms don't flex near as much as longs. Either type binds due to holding the axle in 4 places, just the LA's don't bind as soon.

I don't like the anti-rock bars - they are just somewhere between stock and nothing. Stock gives you control, then when off road I totally disconnect it. Sure it's a PITA, so is adjusting the shocks for street or trail, and adjusting tire pressures, but it's worth it.

Did it also relocate the rear trackbar?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Veteran

I am running 5.5" RE front springs and 4" Teraflex rear springs and my TJ sits about 1/4" higher in the front than the rear. You can not tell by just looking.

I am however running a front bumper and winch set-up that is probably 110lbs heavier than stock.

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

"110lbs heavier than stock" Surely not!!!!!

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Veteran

1/4" wall rectangular tubing, 3/8" thick winch plate with fairlead bracket(none of that sissy off the shelf crap ), and 9500lb Ramsey with steel cable.

I lift 100lb sacks of feed all the time and sure feels heavier than that to me

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode