spedo gauge lighting issues - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

spedo gauge lighting issues

Last week my 86 CJ7 fuel gauge gave up and took my temp gauge with it. After some long troubleshooting I found that it keeps blowing a 15 amp fuse. I have both gauges on order but now I don't have any gauge back lighting when I have the head lights on. The gauge lights are tied into a 3amp fuse and it's not blown.

Any Ideas?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 07:48 AM
Can't Get Enough

I'm into this myself. All of the lamps with the exception of the turn signals get their grounds from the circular clip? that holds the socket into the gauge cluster. The bulb fits into the socket with it's ground-the brass part of the bulb's base-up against this clip. In turn the speedo gauge cluster has to have a good ground that I think it picks up from it's four mounting ears. Quite possibly you're loosing a ground at one point or the way this thing is designed maybe many places. Check for 12v at the orange wires with the parking lights on and a known good ground. Good Luck.

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Wow...
now I wish I had a small head so I could fit it under the dash. Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot when I get back later today,
Carnell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Journeyman

know exactly what you mean, I'm replacing all my gauges and I ended up taking out the drivers seat and center console. you have to be a contortionist to get under there.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 05:26 AM

Or you can get some really long bolts on the ends and remove all the bolts and pull the dash out a bit and get at it from the top. Down side is trying to get all those Torx bolts out without destroying them.

Do the rest of the lights on the dash work?

If you have a bad ground, that could be why your blowing fuses. You may not need new gauges if a ground is the problem. Without a ground the regulator in the gauges dont work and supply full current to you sending units like the fuel sensor and temp sensor. If your fuel tank was full and your sending unit is a little out of adjustment then that's almost like a dead short.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode